Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Table top carving

I am in the process of building a table and want to carve a picture onto the top.  I also want to fill in the areas that I carved out with a clear "filler" of some kind so that the table top is smooth and flat.  What do I use as the "filler" compound?  Thanks for any and all help.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-21T11:09:48+0000  by c1culp c1culp

My favorite tool for carving is a Dremel Rotary tool.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202035316/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=dremel&storeId=10051#.UP10RR37LDk

Filling the carved areas may not be possible with a clear product that will lay out smooth.  I suggest using a plexi-glass sheet - cut to size for the top.

Posted 2013-01-21T17:04:47+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Thanks for the input. The dremel tool was what I was planning on using for the carving.  I will consider using the plexi-glass but that may be hard to come by.  I am currently stationed in Japan with no access to a Home Depot...

Posted 2013-01-21T23:00:50+0000  by c1culp

Howdy C1culp,

That sounds like a great project your doing. I've seen quite a few projects like yours and  an easy solution is to use is to use Parks Super Glaze 1 qt. Pour-On Finish and Preservative.

Apply the Parks Super Glaze  to your furniture, tabletops, bars, game boards, clocks, plaques and ceramics to achieve a high-gloss, protective finish that resists water, heat and chemicals. 1 can covers up to 6.4 sq. ft., and the glaze dries to the touch in just 8 hours to provide quick protection.

More good new is there are companies that sell this product and others like it in Japan.

Here are some ideas that might make your project more interesting;

1) a wood carving chisel could make better angles that you couldn't get with a dremel.

2) using acrylic paint on some of the designs could add some custom look to backgrounds and figures.

3) You could use  multiple layers and add: colors, goldleaf, clouds, or whatever suits your needs.

Just remember to have plenty of ventilation when doing a project like this because the fumes are not only bad for you, but they are very flammable. You wouldn't want all your hard work to go up in flames.

Happy Carving,

Posted 2013-01-22T01:56:02+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+