Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Textured Paint

We painted our bathroom with a textured paint with a sandy texture to it (why we did this, I'll never know!). It's very hard to clean the walls because of the texture so I'd like to get rid of it. Now I would like to paint it a different color and a regular flat paint, but I just don't know how to get rid of the textured paint! Do I sand it down? Is there a special product I need to use to 'strip' the paint away? Do I tear down the walls and start with fresh drywall? I have no clue. Any help would be appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-08-13T16:05:05+0000  by LoreFred LoreFred

Hello LoreFred,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear about your texture paint problem :smileysad:

The best way to get rid of it for repainting is to sand it down. There's really no sure-fire chemicals or strippers to get rid of the texture paint all at once, just old fashioned sandpaper and getting it down to a nice level surface. In fact, sanding will make sure you don't have to double back and it takes the guess work out of seeing if some areas have been done or not. 

To start, make sure you have drop cloths and are protecting any fixtures and flooring from dust. Cover up any vents so the dust that comes up won't go into your air ducts. 

The best sanding systems to get texture paint off your walls are a combination of a pole sander (if you have a large wall/area) and a sanding sponge (for those small, corner, or hard to reach areas).

You'll need medium/rough grit sandpaper to achieve this, usually in 80-120 grit. This will make sure the rough edge pieces will come off fast and in a uniform manner. You can go over a 2nd time with a smoother grit like 180-220 grit to lessen any scratch marks on the wall left from the previous sanding, but that is optional.

Below is a handy checklist to grab when you are in the paint department picking up supplies:

sanding access..JPG

Also remember there will be lots of dust airborne, so be sure to wear proper clothes and face protection so it won't get into your eyes and air passages.

Some areas you most likely will have to go back with more than one pass to make sure the texture paint is off completely alongside that finer grit of sandpaper. To double check your work, I like shining a light at an angle to the wall so you can see any areas you may have missed, it makes the project easier for those corner areas.

After getting your walls sanded down and cleaning up the room, you are ready to repaint your walls. Since it is a bathroom, I would recommend going with a low-sheen finish that will still hold up in a bathroom, such as Behr's Flat Enamel Interior paint (it's water-based latex) or any paint rated for bathrooms. Since the walls are down to the sheetrock again, this is where I would recommend priming, especially if you are using this room lot or if you are using a dark top color. 

Again, make sure your paint is rated for wet locations as most low sheens except for flat enamel interior paints and satin finishes will hold up on your walls for years to come.

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-08-13T19:36:50+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Thank you so much for the help and advice! I was afraid I would have to sand, but at least there's a solution to my problem. Thanks for the product list as well; this will make it super easy to get started!

Posted 2011-08-13T22:27:52+0000  by LoreFred

You don't necessarily have to get rid of the texture to correct your problem. Behr's textured paints would be considered flat paints. This makes them easily painted over with another paint with the color of choice or in your case the sheen of choice. Flat in a bathroom is not a great idea because of moisture. You're just inviting mold and mildew to take up residence on that surface.

If you want a flat look, consider over painting that textured wall with a Flat Enamel, either regular Premium Plus or Ultra Flat Enamel, both from Behr. If you want to change it up completely, use a satin finish to get a bit of sheen but not be completely shiny. Both satins and flat enamels can be used in any room in the house for their durability.

Posted 2011-09-04T23:19:33+0000  by Paul

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+