Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Textured Paint

I read that Ralph Lauren's suede paint gave a texture to walls that helped to hide imperfections. I know Home Depot no longer carries that brand. I wondered if Martha Stewart's Potters Clay or Lightstrokes would be similar to the Ralph Lauren's suede paint in that they would help hide imperfections on my walls.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-11T02:27:02+0000  by Beachhollow Beachhollow

Welcome to our community Beachhollow!

Ralph Lauren’s Suede paint was a paint that made the walls feel and look like suede and it did hide a lot of imperfections because it had very little sheen to it. The shinier the paint is, the more the imperfections are going to show.

With that being said, Martha Stewarts ‘Lightstrokes’ and Potters Clay’ leave a satin finish. So, it will highlight imperfections rather than hiding them. However, all is not lost. :) You can, using a wide, flat brush, make “X’s” all over the wall. Having a random pattern on the wall will help hide the imperfections.

Another option that you can do is adding a sand texture paint additive to paint and roll it on with a 3/8” or textured roller. A sand texture will also hide imperfections. Do be aware, that if you do this and you want a smooth wall in the future, you will have to scrape off the texture to get it smooth again.    

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-11-11T19:13:06+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

The best way to "hide imperfections" is to fix them! The irony is that often far more energy is expended trying to hide something, rather than just fix it! The result is far to often an amateurish looking paint job.

Posted 2013-11-12T06:15:12+0000  by ordjen
This is a situation where I removed wallpaper from walls not realizing they had not been sized until I started. The drywall was damaged in lots of places. It is a large area - entry hallway, up the stairs, and upstairs hallway. I repaired and sanded the areas of damage, but there are still slight imperfections. I know that remudding the walls would have been the best thing to do, but I do not have t he expertise to do that nor the money to hire someone to do it for me. At this point I am just looking for a way to make the walls look the best I can!
Posted 2013-11-12T13:20:22+0000  by Beachhollow

Hello Beachhollow!

You can combine several techniques to cover those damaged walls.

First, use a large sponge and warm water to wash the walls.

Start at the top and catch the drips as they run down the wall.

This is not a scrubbing ... rather, simply a quick pass with warm water to remove any remaining ridges of wallpaper adhesive.

In a standard size room, this should take no more than 30-minutes.

Next, use a six-inch putty knife to "Flush Fill" the larger holes with spackling paste ... this eliminates the easily visible damage.

Allow the surface and spackling paste to dry.

Then, you'll have several choices:

1) The Sand Texture additive that Christine recommends will work wonders over slightly damaged walls. Simply stir the additive into your paint, cover the open container with a paper towel and allow to sit for 30-minutes. Then simply roll onto the wall just like every other paint. The texture will not cover all the imperfections, but will provide a full-field of texture over the slightly damaged walls ... camouflaging the damage into the field of texture.

2) Venetian Plaster is a great damage hider. The plaster is very heavy and it tinted before application with a four-inch trowel. You can apply this product directly over damaged walls because it is so thick, it fills like spackle as applied. The first coat is applied holding the trowel at a 30-45 degree angle and the second coat is applied holding the trowel at a 60-90 degree angle. Allow at least six-hours after each coat and then use 400-grit sandpaper to buff the walls. This step knocks off the exposed ridges and exposes a secondary color (usually slightly darker) creating a faux finish the really covers damage. This product is fairly expensive when compared to option #1. Here is an example:

VPSmpl.JPG Behr Venetian Plaster.jpg

3) Finally, you might choose to repair the walls. This is a tedious task that can be a challenge for DIYers. If you have time, this is probably the least expensive option. However, first timers tend to find it difficult to repair the wall to meet their "perfect" expectation. The frustration of not being able to recreate a perfect wall drive many DIYers to options #1 and #2.

NOTE:

While more expensive, Venetian Plaster was specifically designed for this repair and it works quite well. If you choose this option, plan to spend at least double the amount you would spend for paint with texture added.

Posted 2013-11-12T14:50:17+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I would agree that patching drywall can be somewhat tedious, however, it is not brain surgery, especially if you do not have textured walls:

After cleaning the walls of old wallpaper paste and letting the walls dry down ,sand down the brown, pulpy underlying drywall paper. Seal the exposed areas with a quick dry oil primer such as Cover Stain or the original Kilz. After dry, trowel those areas with drywall topping compound. Topping compound is much easier to sand then regular compound. Use a wide drywall knife to spread the compound. This may take two coats. After dry, sand with a drywall sanding block loaded with 100 grit drywall paper or screen. This is critical to get a nice smooth, level, non-wavy  finish. Finally, those areas that make a transition to the old paint should be lightly wiped with a dampened block sponge. This will knock down any ridge and blend the new super flat finish into the existing paint texture.

If there are large areas that were patched, prime the whole room with a quality primer such as Behr 75 or Kilz 2. This will assure that the two areas are equally well sealed. It will also even out the new super flat patched areas with the existing roller texture on the old paint. Finally, paint with the paint of your choice.

If you are in an area of the country where textured walls are the norm, you will apply the wall texture after the first primer coat, and once again after the texture is applied. For large areas, rental of a texturing machine from the  local Home Depot Rental Center is a good idea.  They simply apply texture much better than any spray can or smaller spray unit.

Time consuming it is, but the results will look professional.

Posted 2013-11-13T00:35:28+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+