Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Textured Walls

What is the most economical solution to trying to smooth out textured walls. I've considered sanding and floating. The current walls are a nasty texture and painted a semi gloss white. I need to do the entire condo of 1200 sq ft.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-12-29T17:34:27+0000  by habitualsoul habitualsoul

Hey there Pam,

Glad you found this post helpful, welcome to the community!

My name is Joseph and I help out my customers like yourself at my Home Depot store here in Atlanta.

The only time you really have to sand down walls is during and after the drywall/spackling/patching hole process. 

So to first tackle the holes in your walls, first grab a can of spackle to fill those holes. For small nail holes and just general patching, I recommend getting a kit that has spackling, knife, and a bit of drywall mesh for those larger holes or repair. It works really great and is a money saver as well, below is a picture of one:

drywallrepairkit.JPG

Follow the directions on the packaging per the manufacturers instructions. Now, if you really want those smooth corners you can also try out a sanding sponge for drywall. These little guys work great in getting the finish you want in the corner areas without using bulkier or harder to use sandpaper. Here is a picture of this great product...

drywallspongesander.JPG

Remember to put plastic down on your floors so as not to get any dust on your floors and close off any heating vents so as not to get that drywall dust in your air system. After sanding, I would recommend using a high quality paint and primer in one, such as Behr's Premium Ultra, so as to eliminate any guess work out of doing layers of paint and primer. If they are average or small size holes, you can patch them up, sand them down and paint everything in one solid weekend. 

Hope this helps you out, and let us know if you have any further questions,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-04-04T18:26:25+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hi, this was very helpful but I have a few questions, my walls were not actually textured it is an old apartment and the walls are not as smooth as they should be, an some areas of the walls have holes, I would like to paint over the walls but was wondering if sanding is a good option for my walls and what would be good to fill the wholes. Also do you have any suggestions on getting the corners of the wall looking like smooth corners, the walls are really a mess...

Thanks in advance Pam  

Posted 2011-04-04T00:23:35+0000  by msstan2010

it sounds like your in over your head.. its time to hire a pro. first of all it would be crazy to try to sand down texture thats already been painted!!!! out of the question. you would have to skim coat over first and then sand that out but thats alot of work. if your going to do it yourself heres something you might consider. mix your mud with water to the consistancy of paint then spray it over the whole wall with a paint rig with a big tip . that will give you a quick coat over a big area then get a 12-18 inch rubber squeegie and go over any nasty spots your mud will shrink back so u might have do do this twice then sand. there are also drywall finishing tools called boxes that are made for going over alot of joints we also use them in aplications like yours, but again thats production taping and probably be more complicated than it would be worth. good luck

Posted 2011-01-09T20:45:59+0000  by stranger28

Welcome to our community habitualsoul!

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot in Atlanta.

Oh textured walls. They are tough to smooth down. You may be sad to know, but the best way to smooth out the wall is to sand it smooth. Sanding off the texture will make a lot of dust, so be sure to wear a mask and goggles.

Using a pole sander will be the most basic of ways to tackle this project. Here is a picture of one:

polesander.jpg

Don't forget to pick up a pole that will screw into this sander! The ones sold in the paint department will be perfect. 

Start by using an 80 grit sanding screen like this:

80grit.jpg

This will smooth down the texture and make the surface even.

Once it is even, use a 100 grit sanding screen like this:

100grit.jpg

This will finish the surface and make it smooth enough to paint.

Be sure to clean the dust off the wall with a clean, wet sponge.  

Once it is completely dry and smooth you can prime and paint away.

Now, if you don’t want to worry about making a huge mess, we sell pole sanders that can be hooked up to a wet/dry vacuum. These are sold only on homedepot.com.

Here’s what they look like and the information links to these products.

MarshalltownDrywallVacuum.jpg

Click here for information on this sander.

hydetools.jpg

Click here for information on this sander.

Follow the same grit guidelines that I mentioned before.

It is a tough project to undertake, but in the end you will appreciate how nice it looks!

Good luck with this and future projects,

Let us know if we can help with anything else,

Christine  

Posted 2010-12-29T18:52:49+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+