Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

The Perfect, Fresh Cut, Christmas Tree: The Fraser Fir!!

Video 66 0 00 17-24 (2).jpg

As a child I loved to draw Christmas trees, of course they were always perfectly cone shaped with upright tips that I could add and sketch colorful ball ornaments on. Little did I know that I was actually drawing the silhouette, of a Frasier fir!

I have been a tree trimmer at my Home Depot, for the last 18 years. I have watched and handled thousands upon thousands of Christmas trees come and go thru my Home Depot gates. I always strive to send my customers away with their ‘perfect’ tree! Everyone has their own vision of the ideal Christmas tree.

I must admit that it is becoming increasingly easy to satisfy all my customers’ needs with the amazingly, perfect, selection of Christmas trees that we offer through-out the country, at The Home Depot.

I have just returned from the Blue Ridge Mountains, of North Carolina. I feel so fortunate to have spent time in the acres and fields of a family tree farm, where so many of our Fraser firs are grown. This was my second trip to the tree farm, early in October I was there, and saw many fields of trees, at all stages of growth. I stood among two, three and five year old trees, they were all perfectly planted in rows as far as I could see. These trees were pain-stakenly sheered, by hand, as they grow, to keep a perfect conical shape.

The most spectacular fields were the acres and acres where the six to nine foot trees thrived! I was amazed to find out that there was no irrigation needed, except that of Mother Nature! The hilly, mountainous soil where these trees planted their roots was hard, and compacted. Fraser’s thrive, where nothing else will.

Video 58 0 00 01-39 (2).jpg

North Carolina produces more than 5 million Frasier fir Christmas trees annually! It is the number one, fresh cut, sold Christmas tree, in the country. The Fraser is the official Presidential tree; it is used in the blue room, of The White House, Washington D.C..

The characteristics and features of the Frasier are:

Sturdy branches, needles grow in a spiral form along branch lines; both of these characteristics ensure the holding ability of weighty ornaments!

Lush green top growth and silver-blue, undersides of needles!

Video 53 0 00 03-08.jpg

Needle retention

Perfectly shaped, sheered as they grow!

Fantastic aroma!

Video 55 0 00 44-43.jpg

I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed and learned while I was in the Blue Ridge Mountains, of North Carolina! I was amazed and astonished at just how many times these trees are touched by human hands, and how many steps it takes until it arrives in your living room!

The quest to find the perfect Christmas tree is not that far away, it is right down the street at your local Home Depot!     Happy Christmas Tree Shopping!!!    Maureen

Once you have found that perfect Christmas tree, read this article on How to Keep That Tree Perfect..

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-13T18:46:55+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS Maureen_HD_BOS

Geez Maureen.

I live right next door to North Carolina and I have not visited the tree farms there. I love your article and I am going to link it to my
12 Great Live Christmas trees For the Landscape post. Thank you for such a awesome article. Oh yeah, I think I stole one of your images for my post.
Posted 2015-12-03T20:14:06+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+