Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

The meanest, most awesomest grill of all time....except I don't know how to do it....

I want to build the greatest grill of all time.  I'm making it out of those retaining wall bricks that look like this \__/

9 bricks high and 3 bricks deep, with the grill and hot plate surface on the 8th brick level

How close should the burners be to the surface?  7th brick level?

How do I pipe the gas to the controls?  I want them on the right side on top of the bricks \  ^^^  /  (the spikes are knobs)

Can I form the grease trap out of one piece of aluminum?  How can I make it easy to remove?

This is a rough typing sketch of what I want it will look like.....

\__/ ____________________\_^_/  burner controls

/     \  ooooooooooooooooooo /      \  burners

\     /  ===================\       /  grease trap

and then so on, and so forth for another 6 blocks down.......

Is this even possible with semi-minimal effort?  I tried for a simple design.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-23T00:47:12+0000  by aalicea aalicea

The addition of an outdoor grill is a great idea! Nothing better than having friends over to hangout eat and marvel at your handy work. The first thing you’ll want to do is check local codes to see if there are any issues you might face with building your outdoor grill. It may be a hassle but it’s always best to check it out. Next pick the location for your grill. Make sure it’s away from large amounts of brush, overhanging branches, or any other potential fire hazards. Dig out the area for the foundation to about 4” deep making sure the area is level. Frame out the slab with 2x4 then mix the concrete per directions and pour then smooth with a trowel. While smoothing out the concrete keep in mind that you will want a slight slope from front to back to help water runoff. Let the concrete set according to manufacturer directions.

While building the brick work for a charcoal grill is fairly straight forward a propane setup will involve a bit more work to pull off. There are a couple of options that can make this easier.

The most direct option is to buy a “built-in” propane grill top. 

cook top.jpg

These give you the benefit of having an enclosed cooking area (better for heat management) and a propane assembly that only needs to be routed to a fuel source. Another benefit is flexibility you can surround the built in with your own brick work or use a combination of modular units to create an area to suit your needs.

Looking around online I’ve also seen a lot of DIY’ers take grills that they already had and re-use them as a part of their outdoor grill. This is a great time and cost saving option you get a lot of the benefits of the built-in option. While it won’t be as straight forward as installing a built-in unit, it’s a great option especially if you have a grill on hand just waiting for a new lease on life.

Finally the other option is running your gas setup through your brick work from scratch. For this you’ll need to get the burners, a regulator, the piping and ensure your dream design can accommodate these safely. It’s by no means an impossible job, but I would recommend having a plumber look over your grill design and consider having them do the piping for the gas. This can give you warning about anything that may need to be altered before you begin as well as the peace of mind knowing that everything was run properly.

As far as the actual brick work goes your design seems fine. The burners should be around 4” below the cooking surface in your case one brick course down. The actual cooking area should be around 30” high to be at a comfortable cooking height. The grease trap formed from aluminum is a great idea as well.

To start laying your bricks you will first want to wet them this helps the mortar adhere. Lay out the base layer of bricks according to your design and leave a ½” gap in between each to allow for mortar. After making any needed adjustments mix the mortar according to directions and one by one remove a brick applying mortar to its bottom and side with the trowel. Make sure you have a level handy as you go to keep things straight, most adjustments can be made by tapping the bricks into place with the butt of the trowel. Repeat this process for each level. Keep in mind that you will need to have worked out your propane setup ahead of this and may have to alter some bricks to fit. When the brick work is done allow it all to set the prescribed time. Support for the grease tray and cooking grate can be done in a couple of ways. The first is to mortar the tray and grate between the brick work. This will essentially make the entire grill one solid unit. The other, which I prefer, is to mortar rebar support rods in and allow the grease tray and grate to rest on these. You get the same amount of support in addition to easy removal for cleaning or replacement.

I hope this has been helpful and keep in mind your imagination is the limit with what you can come up with. I've included some images to help show some of the possibilities. This sounds like a project you’re really passionate about and be sure to post us some pictures of the results.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

bbq.gifbuiltin.gifBrick-Grill.jpgbrick.jpg  

Posted 2011-01-23T19:24:52+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+