Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

This Paint Will Not Drip ... Ever!

Imagine a paint that will not drip ... even if you turn the can upside down!

Glidden's new Trim and Door High-Gloss is exactly that kind of paint.

GlidT&D.JPG

New at the Store, Glidden has introduced quart-size containers of the thickest paint on the planet (only a small exageration).

The oil-based gel product presently comes in eight colors and is designed to make quick, clean work on interior or exterior trim and doors.

Look for this color display at the Store and discuss application with your local Associate.

GlidD&TClrs.JPG

SPECIAL NOTE: This paint is not intended to be shaken and has a minimum shelf-life of at least one year, exactly the way it comes from the manufacturer.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-08-02T18:50:40+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

I always try to follow new product reviews with additional information to help customers and Store Associates make the best decisions and best use of products sold at The Store.

Recently, I noticed that a can of Glidden's new Trim and Door gel paint had separated into fluid at the top and product underneath.

Since the product is labeled "Do Not Put Into Shaker," I called Glidden Technical Support again to verify their instructions.

The manufacturer says separation is to be expected and when discovered, "Gently fold the oil solvent back into the gel paint, not stirring too aggressively, and then use the product as instructed."

So when you pick up your can, also pick up a stir stick. The key words here are, "gently fold."

Let us know what you think of their gel technology!

Posted 2011-09-08T15:11:49+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

bought a can and folded in the oil on top and instead of gel it looks like cottage cheese.  any ideas?  i bought the last can of white paint in the store and it had two dents.

Posted 2011-09-10T20:22:40+0000  by kandbthompson

It sounds like the paint was exposed to freezing temperatures. take it back

Posted 2011-09-18T18:09:04+0000  by bkenneth8000

Hello KandBThompson and Hi to BKenneth too!

KandB, I have to agree with BKenneth.

Home Depot has cornered the market when it comes to customer service!

And your can of paint is no exception.

When I spoke to Glidden Technical Support recently (refer to the earlier post in this thread), they recommended gently folding the solvent back into the base.

If you have tried and not gotten the results you want, I would encourage you to do two things: 1) Take the can back to The Store and ask your Paint Associate to assist you, and 2) If you still cannot get the product to blend smoothly, take it to returns.

Your Paint Associate can identify which store in your area has your white color in-stock.

Posted 2011-09-22T18:06:10+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Hi, I plan to use this paint to paint our woodwork white. We had a new bow window put in with birch unfinshed wood, do I need to use a primer first with this paint? Thanks.
Posted 2012-04-20T17:35:20+0000  by Dawnmarieg

Hello DawnMarieg!

Unfinished wood, like Birch, has the potential to give off natural oils that can bleed through your paint and discolor the surface coating.

In almost every case involving unfinished wood, the proper start includes an oil-based primer like Zinsser Cover Stain.

The primer will dry in about an hour and you can follow with two coats of Glidden Trim and Door ... allow six hours between coats.

This product is self-leveling, which should result in a mirror-like, almost perfect glossy finish.

NOTE: The manufacturer's specifications indicate that a primer is necessary.

Posted 2012-04-24T12:10:50+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

How long does it take this paint to dry, where it's not sticky to the touch.  After 12 hours overnight, I tried to run my hand softly across the surface of my trim work, and it's mildly sticky.  HELP!!  Otherwise, the paint is beautiful to look at.  My trim work wasn't cheap, so getting more and trying again isn't an option.  Thanks!!

Posted 2012-07-10T19:35:55+0000  by sms70032

Hello SMS70032!

Glidden's specification sheet says:

• Oil-based paints traditionally have more odor than latex-based paints. Work in a well-ventilated area. The odor will fade significantly in 12 hours, but it may take about 30 days to disappear completely.
  • Please follow the application instructions on the back of the can label for the best possible results. It is normal for the painted surface to remain tacky for a while. It will dry to the touch in 4 – 6 hours at 77° Fahrenheit. You can recoat after it dries overnight. Do not close painted doors for at least 8 hours.

If the temperature is lower or the humidity is higher, dry-time may be extended.

I would encourage you to wait a week before touching the surface again.

Make certain the area is "well-ventilated."

Gel Paint is a very thick product and may be a little slow to give up the solvent and cure completely.

Air moving gently past the surface will promote drying.

When I used the product on cabinet doors, it took about three days before I could touch the surface and it not feel tacky.

Posted 2012-07-12T13:25:11+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
If it had dents there's a good chance it had a small air leak. I found even when I covered the cans to quit for the night, an 1/8 in inch skin had formed. I would ask HD to replace the paint with compensation. Or the reply regarding the paint freezing also might be the culprit
Posted 2012-11-21T23:19:17+0000  by BBArt-Design

Thanks for the pointer BBArt-Design!

Your reply brings up another noteworthy point.

I periodically have customers bring a can of oil-based paint to The Paint Pit and express concern about extended dry time.

When I open their can, it is fairly common that the oil-based solvent and paint are separated.

Oil-based paint depends upon a blended solvent to create an even distribution of paint onto the surface.

When the paint and solvent are not mixed thoroughly, painters experience uneven or lumpy flow.

In addition, dry-time is very irregular ... normal in some spots and extremely long in others.

All paints, but particularly oil-based paints, depend upon an even mix of solvent and the even evaporation of that solvent from the painted surface to create a uniform drying time and a uniform appearance.

Stirring with a stir stick is usually OK.

Stirring with a drill-mounted paint mixer is much better. Paint Mixer.jpg

But, if you want to ensure a uniform mix of solvent and paint, I strongly recommend bringing the can back to The Paint Pit for shaking before you begin your project.

The finish you create will be much better!

NOTE: Not all paints are meant to be shaken. Particularly Glidden's Gel Paint. And, most oil-based paints recommend application with a natural bristle brush.

FINALLY: Leaving the lid off the can while painting or storing overnight allows solvent to evaporate from the can and makes your paint thicken. It is sometimes necessary to "re-wet" or thin your paint by adding solvent to re-create the manufacturer's intended viscosity and improve paint flow onto the surface. You can eliminate this common problem by pouring paint into a "paint pot" and closing the lid on the can until needed again.

Older cans of paint commonly have to be thinned by adding solvent. Some manufacturers suggest stirring regularly while painting. Some do not recommend thinning, while others suggest no more than one cup of solvent per gallon of paint when thinning. Look on the label for the "Clean-up with ..." line. If clean-up is "Soap and Water," you should thin with water. If clean-up is "Mineral Spirits" you should thin with mineral spirits or paint thinner made with mineral spirits. If your paint is too old, use a paint hardener before discarding the can. Then purchase a new can to ensure the quality of your paint job.

Krud Kutter Paint Hardener.jpg

Posted 2012-12-04T15:41:19+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+