Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Tile and grout!

Hi! We are doing some kitchen remodeling. We should finish laying tile Monday afternoon. We have appliances arriving sometime Wednesday. 

Questions:

1- How long should we let the tile and thinset sit before grouting?

2 - How long should we let the grout dry? 

3 - Can we move our appliances in before we do the grouting? (For example, by laying cardboard to protect the tile)

4 - Alternatively, can we finish tiling Monday afternoon, grout sometime Tuesday, and have appliances moved in on Wednesday? 

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-20T02:31:00+0000  by danserval danserval

Hey danserval,

Thanks for your tile question, welcome to the community!

You asked some pretty straightforward questions, let me do the same in my answers.

1- How long should we let the tile and thinset sit before grouting?

If you are using basic 12" x 12" porcelain field tile and bagged thinset mortar, wait 8 to 12 hours before grouting. This allows for all areas that haven't dried completely to catch up before you start walking and grouting in there. It varies that much because it varies on what kind of subfloor and humidity you have in the room. 

2 - How long should we let the grout dry? 

You said you used a non-sanded grout, and if you got it from us, it should look something like this....

Polyblend-non-sand.JPG

Polyblend non-sanded grout typically dries in 6-7 hours. The thinner the tile spacers you put in, the faster it will take the grout to dry.

3 - Can we move our appliances in before we do the grouting? (For example, by laying cardboard to protect the tile)

Yes and no. Laying down cardboard, plastic, or any blankets would be fine. But, this is the step where sealing your tile would be vital to protecting your project. Sealing your grout/tile is just as important as setting, placing, and grouting your tile. I would do this especially in places near the sink and where the new refrigerator will be going. Without sealing, water or moisture can seep through your grout and under your tiles, leading to failures down the road. To get around that, simply spray and wipe down a good tile and grout sealer, working in 3x3 areas to ensure your grout and tiles will last. 

grout&tilesealer.JPG

4 - Alternatively, can we finish tiling Monday afternoon, grout sometime Tuesday, and have appliances moved in on Wednesday? 

Get everything set Monday, grout it Tuesday, and you can even spray seal the floor late Tuesday (sealer dries very fast, no more than a few hours) and you can move in all your appliances on Wednesday!

You aren't crunched for time as you may think, it can be done easily and effectively!

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-06-20T13:04:28+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I should have mentioned--- we are using porcelain tile, and will grout with unsanded grout. 

Posted 2011-06-20T02:33:39+0000  by danserval

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+