Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Tile around fireplace insert

We are dressing up our living room, one project is a new mantle around our previously boring fireplace insert.  We have found some nice 1x1 stacked-stone looking tiles we plan to install inside the mantle, around the perimeter of the fireplace.  I'm concerned with the possible thickness of mortar.  Is there an adhesive that would be safe to use in this application?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-18T16:44:03+0000  by JackLeblond JackLeblond

Congratulations on joining The Community, JackLeblond!  We are here to help.  A new mantle sounds like an exciting addition to your fireplace. 

Tiles that will be installed inside the mantle around the perimeter of the fireplace have several concerns because of their environment (heat) and location (fire).  If you have a wood burning fireplace, temperature variation changes will be a determining factor:  do not tile inside the fireplace.  I confirmed with my tile installation expert that it is okay to tile inside the gas fireplace.  Personally, I would stay away from tiling the inside of the fireplace and start around the perimeter as you mention.

Select a 1/8 inch trowel for the mortar.  A Thinset is best for this application.  Since your tile is stacked-stone looking (presumably a stone product), choose a white Versabond for best appearance.

10687591_111710i_sv.jpg

Because of the heat factor, there are no other adhesives that I can suggest.  Stay with a cement-based product.  Do not use acrylic or mastics.

Thanks for on joining The Community and please send us photos of your project.  We’d love to see your new improved fireplace insert!

Posted 2011-01-18T17:28:32+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Thanks.  I've done lots of tile before, but this will be my first groutless - I am worried about the seams.  I'll try to post pics when it's done

Posted 2011-01-18T17:43:03+0000  by JackLeblond

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+