Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Tiled shower

I want to replace my stand up shower with a tiled shower and had a couple of questions. Would I need to put special board on the walls before tiling? What would I need to build the shower pan? How would I build a small ledge separating the floor from the shower? What would I need to do the waterproof? Any help would be much appreciated?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-25T01:30:05+0000  by AlexBull AlexBull

Let's start at the bottom.  There are pretty much three choices, a traditional mortar pan, a prefabricated acrylic/fiberglass base, or a newer product that is essentially dense styrofoam that's covered with a waterproof membrane.  The choice is really a matter of persona preference, skill level, and budget.

As for the walls you have two choices, a layer of 6 mil sheet plastic over the studs topped with some kind of cement backerboard (Hardie, Durock, etc.) or drywall and a waterproof membrane (Schulter's Kerdi, Laticrete's Hydroban, etc.)  And, it's personal preference, skill level, and budget.

If this was for my home, I'd probably be looking at Schluter's shower system.
Posted 2015-08-25T17:10:28+0000  by Adam444
Hello AlexBull.  Welcome to the Community!

Let me give you some links to posts here on the Community that address your questions:

Link to Shower Pans on homedepot.com

ShowerPan.jpg

Chris.

Posted 2015-08-25T18:19:40+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Hey AlexBull!

Once you've built the new shower but before you put it into use,

Enhance Stone with TileLab Sealer.

Click the link to read the thread, and

Posted 2015-09-01T16:10:31+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+