Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Tilling existing lawn and planting new grass

Hi,

I recently tilled my existing lawn which consisted of dead grass and some crabgrass. After tilling the yard there are clumps of old root from the dead grass and the crabgrass. Do I have to remove the clumps of old roots or will they settle into the ground and become even? How about top soil? Do I need it if I tilled? One more thing. I already put some seed down but that was yesterday. What do I do? Did I start the process wrong?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-04T04:37:30+0000  by Miss Miss

Hi Miss,

I'm Travis from The Home Depot in Atlanta.

Welcome to our Community!!

Tilling is a great way to loosen the soil and make it receptive to air, water, seed and fertilizer. The dead and decaying weed and grass matter will improve the soil texture as it decomposes. The crabgrass will be controlled by the upcoming freezing temperatures and the cool season grass seeds will establish deep roots over the winter months.

Tilling soil will also expose new weed seeds to the surface that were previously deep under the soil surface. Now that they are closer to the surface, they will germinate either this fall or next spring, depending on their cold tolerance. Weed killers should not be used on the new grass until it has been mowed at least 3 times. Mow the weeds along with the grass and all will be fine. Begin a weed control regimen next spring, or earlier if you elect to use pre-emergent. Apply that in February and again in May, but not after June in Fescue grass.

For right now, since you have already applied seed, remove any of the largest clumps of old weed and grass that will make the ground uneven while mowing. Pick them straight out of the ground if possible, so not to disturb many of the seeds. If doing this creates a large hole, leave the weed in place. It will settle eventually. Adding top soil is not necessary, unless you want to add more organic matter to your soil. Apply no thicker than 1/2 inch. The grass seeds will germinate in about 2 weeks. Keep them watered in the mean time.

Timing is the most important consideration for grass planting. Your timing is great. You will have a beautiful lawn in no time!

Thanks for the question. I hope I helped.

LawnRanger

Posted 2011-10-04T13:33:47+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+