Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

Toilet and tile installation

Installing a toilet.  Put in slate tile.  The tile  - with new subfloor is now a teeny weeny but above the metal gasket on which the wax ring and toilet would rest.  Do I cut out the tile with an angle grinder so the toilet rests directly on the gasket - or do I trust the wax ring to bridge this space?  Any advice is appreciated.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-04-25T15:03:46+0000  by Ellio Ellio

Hey Ellio,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Depending on the 'teeny weenie' new height of the tile will determine if you can or don't need to cut down the tile.

Personally, I would experiment with the wax ring and see how it will bridge the space as you stated. Just leave the plastic film on the ring first before committing to a final installation.

Inspect the height of the ring against the tile to view where you can go from there. Only you at this step can determine that. If need be, you can use an oscillating tool like a Dremel (a true grinder if improperly used can severely damage your tiles).

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-04-25T15:48:16+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
The toilet (or closet) flange should sit on the finished floor.  Too low and it may leak, too high and the toilet may rock which will also cause leaks.

The typical closet flange is 1/4" to 3/8" thick so that puts your flange at least 3/8" below where it should be.  You could try and extra thick wax ring but adding a spacer is probably a better idea.

pClean the surface of the flange and Put a thick bead of 100% silicone caulk between the spacer and the flange.  If it all possible screw down the spacer so it doesn't shift when you install the toilet.  If screws aren't an option, let the caulk dry overnight and use care when installing the toilet.
Posted 2016-04-26T00:59:10+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+