Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

Toilet leak

I recently bought and installed a new toilet from Home Depot.  The toilet leaks from the tank and drips on the floor.  Tightening bolts does not help.  What is the next step to solve this problem?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-06-28T20:25:26+0000  by Ezra1 Ezra1

Hello Ezra1.  Welcome to the Community!

While it would be helpful to know which toilet you have, I will try to address tank leaks in general.

There will be rubber seals which need to contact the tank surface.  The bolts that hold the tank down will often have a metal washer just under the bolt head inside the tank, and then a rubber washer that both the metal washer and bolt head press down on to seal the inside of the tank.  If the toilet tank leaks slowly all the time, it is likely that one or more of these connections is the culprit.

There is also going to be a fairly large rubber tank washer that seals where the flush mechanism on the tank meets the toilet bowl inlet.  That washer should be funnel shape down and flat side up against the tank.  If the toilet tends to leak after you flush it, then it is this center gasket that is the likely problem, as the flush valve should be sealing off water above it until you flush.

The only fix I know of would be to remove the tank, re-read the install instructions and make sure that the rubber seals are installed correctly.  You will also want to look for any cracks in the tank that might also be causing a leak.

Click here to go to a short video from Korky for a more visual explanation.

Chris.

Posted 2018-06-29T14:14:28+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+