Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Tools to remove and remodel a built in half wall

We have a half wall/shelf built into our basement bedroom. We checked the walls and they appear to be hollow. I'm not sure how to check whether or not it's okay to remove those two half wall/shelves. What tools should I need to accomplish this?  
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-07-11T06:22:50+0000  by Kinzee Kinzee

Hey Kinzee,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

If you have a wall, you almost always have some form of stud or framing member behind it to support it.

Your best tool in this situation to start the job is a Stud Finder

Zircon StudSensor HD55 Stud Finder

A good stud finder will tell you not just what is behind the wall, but some higher end models can also give you depth and type of material (wood, metal, etc.) is present there.

Even with a stud finder, you will need to carefully remove the walls and frame members, as electrical wiring and plumbing pipes can be behind the walls. 

From the looks of that shelf, there could possibly be a foundation wall or similar type underneath. So when you remove the wall, do so carefully and in small areas to verify what is behind it.

As for other tools to use, click here to read a post I authored last year entitled Top 10 Demolition Tools.

In the article, I talk about items like the pry bar in your picture, but also other power tools like the reciprocating saw (shown below).

Be sure to close off the room and vents via plastic sheeting so to avoid spreading dust and debris throughout your home and ventilation system for your heating and air system.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-07-11T13:50:54+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+