Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Top Benefits of Leveling Your Lawn

User-added image

What are the benefits of leveling my lawn, you might ask? Leveling your lawn benefits your lawn in more ways than one. 

Here in Georgia and much of the south, we are constantly fighting with our clay soil and weather that seems to go from one extreme to the other.

Leveling our lawns with a thin layer of sand will benefit your lawn immensely and here is why.

Clay soil, over time can become very compact and become brick like. This will make water run off instead of absorbing into the ground, not giving our grass the nutrients it needs. When this happens, the roots of your grass come up to the surface looking for nutrients, making your lawn vulnerable to fungus and diseases. Top dressing your lawn with a ½ inch layer of river sand or even play sand immediately after core aerating your lawn will work wonders for your lawn.

When to Top Dress Your Lawn

Core aeration and top dressing your lawn, ideally should be done in May when your Bermuda, Zoysia, Centipede and St. Augustine lawn is actively growing. Aerate and top dress Fescue grass in the fall before overseeding. Core aeration should be done 1 or 2 days after a saturating rain. This will allow for an aerator to pull a good 3 inch plug out of the ground. Now that the plug is out of the ground, adding sand will allow it to wash into the holes with the dirt from the plugs, making the lawn more porous. Core aerators can also be rented from the tool rental department of your local Home Depot store.

More Benefits

Our lawn now will absorb much more water, giving our lawn the nutrients it needs to survive. We now have sent the roots deeper into the ground, eliminating the threat of disease and kept our lawn healthier. This has eliminated the cost of fungicides and greatly reduced the cost and dependency of fertilizers. After a heavy rain, sand will wash into the low places, making the lawn much more level.

Tips

Some experts recommend top dressing your lawn with a 50/50 mix of soil and sand. They are not wrong, as this works well but it makes application much more difficult, making it a 3 or 4 person job. By core aerating, you have added the soil element and now you simply have to put the sand down on top of it. This is done with a wheelbarrow and shovel. When I did my Bermuda lawn, I simply threw down sand by hand until my lawn was white. It was not necessary to apply it perfectly even as long as the ground was covered everywhere. That’s the beauty of using only sand because after a good rain, the sand and plugs were washed into the holes and low places, making the lawn feel as smooth as glass when driving my mower over it.

Other related articles:

How much water does my lawn need

What is lime and why is it important?

12 Essential Nutrients Plants Need To Stay Healthy

Scotts lawn care program- schedule

What are the numbers on fertilizer? What are the different types of grass?

Lawn Disease Control

Amending Different soil types

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-11-09T14:47:10+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL Ingar_HD_ATL

Awesome article as always!
Posted 2015-01-22T03:41:02+0000  by Cree

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+