Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Tradition...the Poinsettia.

Wh Rd.jpg
User-added image

The poinsettia plant is a true Christmas tradition it was introduced into the United States, in 1825, by Joel Poinsett.  Joel Poinsett was a Diplomatic Minister, the first ambassador to Mexico.  Poinsettias are the national flower of Mexico, there, they grow like shrubs!  After spending much time in Mexico, Poinsett returned to the U.S bringing the beautiful red flowering plant with him.  He cultivated, and propagated them in numbers, and gave them to friends and family at Christmas.  So the tradition began, and the lovely plant took on his name.

Poinsettias are of the euphorbiaceous plant family, the characteristic of theses varieties of plants are when their stems break they ooze a white milkfish sap.   Most people think of the bright colored leaves of the poinsettia as their flower, but it is not, those leaves are called bracts.  The flowers are actually the tiny yellow buds that form in the center of the bracts.

An interesting fact is that Poinsettias are still the number one potted flowering plant sold in the U.S. Amazing as that seems, it all happens in a short, six week, window of time.  Although, their selling season is short, the plant itself can last forever. National Poinsettia Day is December 12th.

Poinsettias will soon be arriving at your local Home Depot in many sizes and varieties.  Bring the tradition of the wonderful Poinsettia home with you, spread the joy; drop one off at your friends and neighbors, send one into your child’s class room.  A pot of poinsettias is a perfect economical way to say happy holidays to one and all.

This post was written by BostonRoots, (aka Maureen)  Video by Grow2girl.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-11-15T18:02:02+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS Jen_HD_BOS

I remember my father planting a standard sized Poinsettia typically found this time of year that I had given him back in 1987. By the time they moved from their house to their condo ten years ago, the plant had a diameter of about 5 feet. It was HUGE. It would have been more appropriately called a shrub at that point it was so big. Each year he would cover the plant so that it had the necessary darkness and each year he was rewarded with this growing and growing red mass on the side of their house. Living in South Florida he didn't have to worry about bringing it inside for fear of cold and frost.

Posted 2011-11-28T19:40:01+0000  by Paul

Hello Paul,

Wow!  What a great story.  It sounds like your father took vast care of his Poinsettia.  Taking the time to cover the plant each year certainly brought rewards.  It must have been hard for him to leave it behind when he moved.  It’s so wonderful, that you have such fond memories of Poinsettia’s and you’re Dad.

I would love to see pictures if you have any.

Happy Holidays,

Grow2girl

Posted 2011-11-29T14:43:29+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS

Jenn, this is great. I never knew anything about Poinsettias except they were red. This is a great history lesson and one I'm glad you shared. I bet not many people realize where the tradition started.

Posted 2011-12-01T18:59:40+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Wow,

Grow2Girl has stuff about Poinsettia's I never even heard of. Who knew Pointsettia's had so much history behind them? Here's a quick look at my insight about what to do with Pointsettia's after the Holiday Season. Enjoy.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Posted 2011-12-19T22:11:05+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+