Sign In to join the community | Help

TrafficMaster Allure Ultra Resilient Plank Flooring

Hey everyone!

Last week I was fortunate enough to help install quite possibly the best resilient flooring that's out there. 

Let me introduce you to to TrafficMaster's new Allure Ultra Resilient Plank flooring, sold exclusively at The Home Depot!

While we have done some posts on the community regarding standard Allure flooring already,  this post to to inform you that Allure Ultra steps up and improves upon the great performance Allure already does. 

All around and pound for pound, Allure Ultra goes further with the same technology that regular Allure does, but with key features that make installation easier and gives an affordable solution to areas that are prone to water and moisture.

The main takeaway I wanted to share on this post is the fundamental difference in the way Allure Ultra is installed versus standard Allure flooring. 

Below is a picture demonstrating how Allure Ultra is being installed. Notice on the top picture how the Clic-lock technology allows for easy installation. The planks snap together by angling the plank to the other just like you would with click-wood or laminate flooring. The picture below is the standard Allure flooring that uses the Grip-Strip to secure the planks together. Grip Strip is an adhesive that works great for installing the floor and keeping it secure, but the Clic-lock technology in Allure Ultra makes installation and upkeep much easier.

Both kinds install to themselves as a "floating" system, so no glue or nails are needed to secure them into place. Both also need to be secured on the edges by leaving a 1/4" gap between the floor and wall and placing molding on top of them so as not to allow for drastic shifts. 

So other than installing, what makes Allure Ultra the best resilient flooring out there? Well, I'll list several features here that make it the best choice for your floor:

• 20 mil wear layer thickness. Compare that to 7mm is some laminate plank floors!
  • 100% water-proof. But it is NOT a water-proofing product. Any moisture problems need to be addressed before installation
  • has a CBT (Ceramic Bead Technology) coating for added wear and durability!
  • can be installed over uneven sub-floors or existing floors such as natural wood, concrete, vinyl, linoleum, and even ceramic. But remember, any loose or damaged floors should be fixed prior to installing Allure Ultra over the old floor
  • Allure Ultra is extremely easy to clean and maintain, and best cleaning are done with SingleStep Allure cleaner 
Below are samples of the two colors we currently have in-stock in most stores. Also, be sure to check out further samples through special order of more colors as well. 

For any further information on this great new product, check out Home Depot's video, you can find it here

Hopefully this post will get you on the right path to choosing the easiest, durable, and affordable high-quality resilient flooring that you can get for your next flooring project!

Have a great day,

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-21T15:29:24+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

Hello, A client of mine is set to have me install Allure Ultra in their basement, which has a fairly flat concrete floor, and extremely rare moisture issues. My question is about underlayments, in regard to moisture dissipation. I noticed that Home Depot sells Roberts AirGuard underlayment, which claims to provide under-floor ventilation and mold inhibitors in the event that moisture gets under the flooring. Is it advisable to put this underlayment under the Allure Ultra, or will the extra cushioning reduce the integrity of the 'click-joints' between the planks and cause premature floor failure? Thanks for your help.

Posted 2011-03-29T13:56:45+0000  by WorkingDesign

Hi WorkingDesign,

Thank you for your question, I apologize for the long duration of waiting for a reply.

You are right in needing something below for moisture blockage. Unfortunately and fortunately, using Roberts AirGuard underlayment is NOT needed underneath for Allure, it simply goes over the concrete floor!

On the fortunate part, the reason why this product does not require an underlayment is simple. 

Allure and Allure Ultra is a vinyl substrate, and not cellulose (wood) based, it will not be damaged from moisture coming underneath.

Another reason that Allure does not require an underlayment is that both versions are thick enough to provide cushioning underfoot.  And for that reason, it makes it the best choice for flooring in areas that are prone to moisture.

Putting an underlayment underneath Allure is not advisable, since it will jeopardize the integrity of the planks not keeping together. Again, since Allure and Allure Ultra is vinyl, it isn't necessary to place anything down other than a simple vapor barrier for the concrete floor.

This can mean a piece of 4 mil plastic to a paintable concrete sealer. Only use plastic sheet moisture barriers for concrete subfloors; moisture can get easily trapped and rot the wood subfloors if placed there.

So in short, it really depends on the type of existing floor/subfloor you have now. I would say that you can place a floor rated paint and or primer for a wooden subfloor to give it some moisture resistance.

The only approved underlayment (non 4 Mil plastic sheeting) is SimpleSolutions Moisturbloc Vapor Barrier Underlayment which is shown below.

SimpleSolutions Moisturbloc 120 sq. ft. 12 ft. x 10 ft. 6-mil Film Vapor Barrier Underlayment

Thanks for your question again and welcome to the community!

Posted 2011-04-02T14:27:35+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I am looking to install this in my kitchen area and guest bathroom which is all connected by a hallway that leads to an outside door.  The room is fairly odd shaped.  The outside door plus an inside door to the dining room are both on the 'finishing' side of the room.  An outside door and the longest wall are on the 'starting' side of the room. 

My question is about how to install these planks under a door jamb.  If I use the 'clik-lock', then I won't have room to get the ending side of the plank under the jamb.  How is this accomplished?  I've looked for this info all over the internet and can't find anything.  Can't figure it out.  Any suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 2011-04-21T18:09:05+0000  by Tara8595

Hey Tara8595.

I apologize for the long time of getting a response back to you.

Excellent question about getting the planks underneath the door jamb. I was lucky enough to help build the new display at my store and I have cut and tapped in a few planks to see what the technology looked like while I was installing them.

From what you have told me here, the starting side of the room is opposite of where you the jamb is maybe the issue here. Since the planks click together and you would have planks already down, I am with you in trying to find an adequate answer, and I have come up with 2 options for you.

Would it be possible to start where the doors that lead outside and to the dining room first (the finishing side as you say) and then work the planks under the door jamb by way of using a tap block to hammer them underneath? This would work well and not comprimise the integrity of the planks, as they would slide into place instead of being clicked into place. I would even consider not only starting at that side, but cut your planks to size so as to fit it around the jambs, and then slide it against the wall in place. Remember, this is a floating system, so be sure to give yourself around 1/8" or so gap along the walls, then cover up and "lock" them into place with base mouldings.

This one is a bit tricker but it can be done. This would be the removal of the door jamb in its entirety, or even just enough of it so the planks can be snapped down that way. Since the jambs cover a good bit of the floor, there is a little more room to have cuts or alterations to the planks, since they will be pushed underneath anyways. I would use this option only if you cannot start on this side of the room. Also, if the jamb is too low to the floor, consider using a door jamb saw kit. It is a horizontal saw that works great for these kinds of situations. Here is a picture below of it:

This is a fairly common problem that can be solved by using one or both of these options.

Please let us know if we can assist any further,

Posted 2011-04-29T17:16:56+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

How do you transition from the Allure AUltra flooring to standard sheet vinyl?  I am replacing the carpet in my home, but I don't want to replace the sheet vinyl in the kitchen and baths.  How would I transition between these rooms?

Posted 2011-05-13T02:51:05+0000  by GypsyD66

Hey there GypsyD66,

While they don't make an exactly coordinating trim piece for each style of the Allure, we do have the materials to make it happen for you.

Depending on if you are on an even height or if the allure is higher/lower than the sheet vinyl, you can use a traditional metal transition strip to achieve this--

You'll notice in the first picture that this will work great for even surfaces; while the second picture will be more for raised surfaces that need to be reduced. Both will come with the appropriate amount of counter-sunk nails that will help you drive into either wood or concrete depending on your subflooring. We also carry these types in wood as well if you aren't a fan of the metal look or wish to stain them to match your new Allure flooring. Most stores will carry these by their carpeting, so stop by you local store and let them know you're looking for transition strips. They'll help you track them down~ ^^

Posted 2011-05-13T13:23:59+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Thank you for posting this - I plan to give Allure Ultra a try and the info here is good.

One thing to note, however, the wear layer of 20mil is actually very thin compared to 7mm.  20mil = 0.508mil (think of it as the thickness of about 7 or 8 Hefty garbage bags.

Anyway, the click system does look like it may be even easier than the other sticky edge Allure flooring.

Posted 2011-05-17T03:01:35+0000  by Larry21093

Hey Larry,

You are right about the physical wear layer itself being thiner than laminate, but I was referring to the overall thickness of the substrate vinyl layer of Allure Ultra in comparison to the lower quality grades of pressboard laminate planks. 

The Ceramic Bead Technology of Allure Ultra Resilient Plank flooring holds up just as well if not better than the aluminum oxide coatings that most laminate planks offer and with a much higher warranty.

With that said, I am glad you are researching and getting the product, you won't be disappointed!

Thanks for your comment, and welcome to the community!

Posted 2011-05-21T14:37:59+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hello, I saw two different plank styles at Home Depot: the Strip Clear Cherry and the Vintage Oak Cinnamon planks. 

The Strip Clear Cherry has a very different surface from the Vintage Oak Cinnamon, and the cherry plank looks more like real wood. Which of the other plank styles listed on the Home Depot Allure Ultra Planks also have the same kind of surface (textured) like the cherry?

Posted 2011-06-13T00:59:51+0000  by TCJ

Hey TCJ,

Thanks for your question, and welcome to the community!

To my knowledge, including the Clear Cherry and Vintage Oak Cinnamon planks you saw in the store, The Home Depot as of this post sells 25 different colors of Allure Ultra online as well as special order. I'd say over half of them have the textured look you want, but this is one of those times where I can't tell you over a post how textured or the exact surface of the planks without physically seeing and feeling them. Your local Home Depot should have a big swatch sample of all the special order planks we carry so you can physically see them.

As for the next best thing, I have included the link for all the Allure Ultra planks we currently sell on our website, including samples. The link can be found here

In the picture below, I chose 2 samples for you of what I believe is the texture you were requesting...

Thanks again for your great question, any further assistance please do not hesitate to ask,

Posted 2011-06-13T13:02:19+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question