Sign In to join the community | Help

Tree Ring Project

This spring, consider putting a tree ring in at your home. When you are installing a tree ring there are a few steps to take along the way to ensure that your tree ring looks perfect.  This will be a helpful guide to doing it yourself.

List of materials

1.       Shovel                                                
  2.       Tamper
  3.       Lime stone screening
  4.       Bricks
  5.       Top soil
  6.       String and marking paint
  7.       Shade tolerant plants/ Mulch

You can download the PDF version of this project here.  Project Guide

Prep work

The first step in achieving a proper tree ring is to measure the distance you want to fill in around your tree.  You can do this by taking a loose piece of string and tying it around the bottom portion of the trunk.  You will want to go 3-6 ft away from the tree.  Make sure the string is loose so you can circle the tree with your marking paint in order to achieve a perfect circle.

After you have your area marked off, you will need your shovel to start removing either dirt or grass.  When you go to line the bricks up make sure you check the distance between the back of the block and the tree for proper distance before you start digging.  You will want to dig 3-4in down into the ground. Once you get your outer perimeter dug out make sure to keep the edges of the grass line nice and straight for a better look!!

Before you put your blocks into the area you dug out, you will need to apply some leveling sand to help keep the bricks flat.  Lime stone screening will work just as well since it’s for leveling purposes.  You will want to pour about half an inch of sand down and tamper it down.  The tamper will help give the area the flatness it needs.

8029b177-232f-4b93-abbf-00cc5e26f03e_300.jpg08cbc166-e140-45b2-836f-daa1d98c8b96_300.jpgtamper.jpg

Laying the blocks

When you’re ready to start the foundation you may need a rubber mallet to help put the final bricks in place.  Working from left to right is the easiest way to install these.  Once you get the first row down, take a level and lay it across the base level of bricks to ensure they are level.  You may have to re-tamp the area until its level.

When you go to start stacking your next couple layers make sure to stagger the bricks to give it more detail to blocks.  Try to avoid having all the seams line up vertical. The back of the stones will keep them in align and from falling off the back end.

df47aeae-9ece-4130-b6ab-435dffb0d044_300.jpg66b950b1-c871-49c4-b9b1-fd7863350b6b_300.jpg

Plant and Fill

Once you have all your blocks in place it’s time to fill the big empty space around your tree.  Mixing a combination of top soil and premium garden soils is the best way to go if you want to plant flowers under the tree.  Depending on how much sun the bottom of the tree gets will determine what types of plants you can use.  If you just want to fill it in and cover it with mulch that works as well.  Just fill the inside with topsoil and cover with at least 2in of your favorite mulch!!

dae3d789-3aca-4e4a-9756-746f08e5173f_300.jpgplantsoil.jpg296e357a-6563-46b2-a3b3-23cd3c25ed84_300.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-21T21:41:48+0000  by FlyingHDsod FlyingHDsod

The Louisiana Extension service has said as little as 3" of soil on top the roots of a full grown oak are enough to kill it - DO NOT pile dirt in a ring around the trunk of your tree- the extra dirt WILL suffocate it & the extra moisture against the surface roots and trunks also invites termites - especially in our area where the Formosa termites are invasive - which will tunnel into and kill your tree  -

JenWP wrote:

Changing the soil grade around trees is a great way to kill it.  Trees grow surface roots for their ability to "breathe". Their roots need oxygen.  By adding soil around a tree, as little as 6 inches, they tree can be negatively affected, as their roots are "suffocating" from the lack of oxygen.  I've seen many trees die in my profession (certified arborist) from this practice.  Please do not kill your trees.  Research from the University of Florida proves this: http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/root-growth-do-not-soil.shtml

Posted 2012-03-09T18:06:10+0000  by patmcwbr

Home Depot, you need to delete this entire suggestion! I can't imagine why you put such a badly-researched idea out here, but what you suggest will DEFINITELY KILL PEOPLE'S TREES.

Posted 2012-03-09T18:17:27+0000  by Lee-in-Iowa

You are absolutely right.  Can't believe a garden center is suggesting this.  Not only would the suggest tree ring alter the level of the soil around the roots of the tree and likely smother it on the inner ring, but by digging down in the circle to lay the bricks, you will be further weakening the tree by severing a lot of the roots near the surface.    

Basic rule for healthy trees is to plant them at the correct depth, keep mulch a few inches away from the trunk of a tree and have a light layer of 2-3 inches of mulch around the tree.  If you choose to plant something around the base of the tree, disturb the roots as little as possible and don't choose a plants that are super water hungry unless you are diligent about providing supplemental water or live in an area that gets enough rain naturally.

Posted 2012-03-09T18:18:52+0000  by jsapr

Bad idea!  As many have previously stated, this project is likely to result in a dead tree.  Death won't be instant, or over the short term.  The root system of a tree is about 2.5 times its height.  Digging in the root zone is not reccomended.  Although the base of the bricks is just three inches below grade, there is a possibility, especially with mature trees, ofdamaging roots.  Adding soil and mulch will compact the soil in the root zone and keep air from reaching the roots.  If you do not believe what many of us have stated, do some serious research before doing this project or consult an arborist.

Posted 2012-03-09T18:24:09+0000  by Janva
Not "could," it will kill the tree. Tree rings are hillbilly landscaping. Can't you come up with a better project to use your building blocks, like terracing a hillside.
Posted 2012-03-09T20:07:48+0000  by steve_mass

You've been lucky!  I have an ash that's about 20 years old that had a combination of mulch, dirt and daylilies that had a depth of about 6 inches.  I was horrified when part of the canopy started to die.  (Thought it might be emerald ash beetles).  Fortunately the arborist advised that it wasn't infested with EAB, I was just suffocating the poor thing.  Scraped off the mulch et al down to the root flare and it's recovering.  Not as pretty but the tree survived.  Think "donut" and not "volcano" when mulching and no more than 2 to 4 inches. 

Posted 2012-03-09T20:30:07+0000  by whiskeys_girl

What if the tree is on a downslope of about 15 degrees. What would I need to do. Thanks, Bob

Posted 2012-03-09T20:39:21+0000  by bobobo1943

I like this project, as this will look great, and it appears that this would not take much effort or expense. *S* 

HOWEVER, I would like to make a suggestion for those who, like myself, are concerned about the survival of the tree.  Instead of planting new plants in a new layer of soil, you can put them into pots, and then lightly mulch to cover the pots. In this way, the air will still be able to reach the tree roots, and you can change the look any time you wish.

Posted 2012-03-09T21:51:54+0000  by scot_belle
If it is a Silver Maple the roots will just keep coming up. That is how they naturally grow. Raising the pots up would not be a bad thing and won't cause the roots to come up any faster.
Posted 2012-03-09T22:55:27+0000  by Sibley

I have a large tree ring, about 7 foot radius and a foot deep around a mature silver maple and the tree is fine.  The roots grow up into the soil, however, so the plants must compete for nutriants and water.  Some plants do really well, but some can't take the competition.

Posted 2012-03-10T00:02:49+0000  by gngrhill
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+