Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Trending in the Aisles: Kreg R3 Pocket Hole Jig

I needed to build a couple of folding frames as part of a project recently, and I needed to get them done in a hurry. I have a lot of customers come into the store asking for Kreg products. I’ve always been curious to use some of the products and figured this was a good opportunity.

I picked up the Kreg Jig R3 for the job at hand. The storage case the R3 comes in is actually pretty clever as contains almost everything you need for the job. The jig (with clamp pad), drill bit, driver bit, stop collar, and a few assorted screws and pocket hole plugs to give you a jump start.

I was especially surprised that the guide for setting the drill stop is incorporated into the case.

Setting the jig up is quick and simple. Adjust the slides on the side of the of the jig to set the depth for the material. Clamp the jig in place and you’re ready to go. I used one of the clamps I have laying around in the workshop. Kreg also makes clamps which make re-positioning the jig quicker.

The correct screws for the project at hand are easy to locate by looking at the box. The box shows the screw size, the type of wood it’s intended for, and location (interior vs exterior). On the back of the box is a handy chart that list material thickness and the corresponding screw length.

With the pocket holes drilled, it was time to assemble the frame and drive the screws. I added wood glue between the joints and used clamps to hold them together while driving the screws. Something I didn’t expect was that the pocket holes actually hold on to the screws freeing up my off hand to help support the frame.

The Kreg Jig R3 is a great little tool and well worth having a look at. The frames came out great and best of all they came out fast and feel super strong. The next time you’re in one of our stores be sure to stop by the hardware department and have a look at the Kreg lineup.

Cheers,

Chris

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-27T15:45:49+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL Chris_HD_ATL

Great post Chris.

I absolutely LOVE the Kreg jig systems.

Over the years I have evolved with my woodworking joints. In the 80’s I used glue and dowels then in the late 90’s through about 2013 I used glue and biscuits. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I got my Dewalt biscuit joiner for Christmas way back when.

But then I was asked to build 12 window props for a high school field show that needed to be 4’ x 8’ and 4’ x 10’ at all crazy angles. I knew I had to make them indestructible since high school students were going to be moving them on and off the field for over 2 months. They are not easy on anything they touch. I figured I would try something new and build them with pocket hole joints to make them stronger. 

Me being the tool junky that I am I went right to the top and purchased the Kreg Jig K5 Pocket Hold System. I figured if it’s as good as everything I read I’m going to be using it a lot so why not get the best and the one that make my life even easier. (Really it was just my excuse to get a cool new tool.)

They were not wrong. I absolutely LOVE this jig. I have used it way more than I thought I would.

I really like the K5 because it has everything that you need all incorporated into the jig. All of the adjustments guilds and tools are included and stored in the storage compartments that double as platforms to steady your work when needed.

Kreg Jig K5 Pocket-Hole System

If you do more than a couple of projects a year it is well worth purchasing a tool that will make your life easier and your projects even better.

Thanks again for the post Chris. It’s a great idea to get the amazing Kreg jig systems out there for everyone to see and learn more about. Otherwise it’s just that weird looking tool that you don’t know what it does. 

Posted 2016-06-03T15:08:33+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
Great post Chris - and comment, Christine - I've been wanting to get a Kreg jig for quite a while, now. It's one of those things on my tool list that I know I want, but just don't know which to get or what to start with. I am happy to see such good feedback on two of the options, still not sure if I should start with the K3 and just see whether I actually use it, or go with a set.

Then, there are so many sets from which to choose! I just don't know ... after seeing Chris' experience, maybe I'll just start with the K3 and determine where to go from there.

Thanks again for such an informative post. I've also been very curious about the Kreg systems for many years and I have a few projects that I could practice using it with. I think you've given me enough info to take the plunge - or at least dip my toe in the water. 
Posted 2016-06-07T14:48:22+0000  by BlackjackWidow

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+