Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Trending in the Aisles: Multy Home EnviroTiles

User-added image

User-added image

My local Home Depot store just started getting ready for spring.  The patio furniture is arriving in our garden department and that’s where I found this great new product: Multy Home EnviroTiles™.

Sand_secondary_4.jpg

Envirotiles are an environmentally-friendly product that is the ideal re-surfacing solution to renew, restore and resurface many outdoor and indoor flooring spaces.  The tiles are made from 100% recycled rubber tires that were diverted from landfills.   They are designed to work on horizontal surfaces: place them directly on top of any existing flat surface (decks, patios, porches, balconies, verandas, walkways, poolside, basements, or workrooms).  Envirotiles are impact-friendly, weather-resistant, and noise-absorbing.   They are durable; they will not break, crack, warp, peel, or crumble.  Simply rinse off the tiles with a garden hose for easy cleaning.  Grooves let the water flow beneath the tiles.

9c4adffe-45c2-46bb-be35-730589945080_300.jpg  33a0eb26-1f58-4f54-af48-0ca90d6b4280_300.jpg  bfcfa908-75bd-451c-8e37-55c8767be9b8_300.jpg  3a1792e5-699e-40cc-84f2-e8586dece310_300.jpg  

Envirotiles come in a variety of styles and colors - designed to look like concrete pavers.  They are lighter in weight than a paver and are easy to install. Connector clips secure the tiles together.  The tiles can be trimmed with a utility knife or jigsaw.   

921989e0-73af-4ae9-b6c8-23b5bcc73dd0_300.jpg   Connectors secure the tiles from the underside by using a mallet.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-28T20:21:44+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL Eileen_HD_ATL

How could i level the ground to a concrete patio, and then install enviro tires to enlarge my patio area, or is this possible? Thanks

Posted 2011-03-26T04:40:39+0000  by Wooli68

Hello Wooli68 and welcome to The Community!

These EnviroTiles are becoming quite popular. You will need to level out the ground side and “build it up” to meet the level of the concrete. I suggest making sure that the ground side is free of rocks and stones and level.  Add fine gravel (at least an inch) then pack and level the gravel layer with a tamper.

tamper.jpg

The tiles are rubber and will conform to the newly enlarged patio. If there is more than 1” height differential between the concrete and the ground, the tiles may not look or feel as good compared to a level surface and may slightly “move” around.

I mentioned in an early post that you may want to use the landscape fabric above the ground and below the gravel for proper drainage (and no weeds) before installing the tiles. Since the tiles have grooves underneath, they already have a channel for rainwater.

Be sure to use the connectors to keep the tiles safely in place.

Best wishes on your new patio space and please send us photos – we would love to see your work!

Posted 2011-03-29T13:52:05+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Hi! We are looking at these tiles to cover our deck and patio. Both have peeling paint and it sounds appealing. My husband has concerns about mold forming under the rubber tiles from standing water. Should we be concerned?

Posted 2011-04-13T16:07:47+0000  by fixeruppers

Hello fixeruppers and welcome to The Community!

Congratulations on considering the Envirotiles to cover your deck and patio.  You have two (2) issues to address.

First, I would recommend removing the peeling paint and preparing the surface of your deck and patio for long life. 

Second, do you currently have adequate drainage on the deck and patio areas?  If you see standing water after it rains, you most likely you do not have a slight slope (1-2%) to allow drainage. 

The Envirotiles have channels on their underside to allow water to move.  However, if you have standing water on the current surface, you will also have standing water under the tiles and that may allow mold to grow. 

Please keep us posted on your project and best wishes!

Posted 2011-04-15T13:10:17+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

I guess I don't quite understand the part about only installing clips on the outer perimeter. What holds the tiles inplace in the center section?

Posted 2011-05-08T17:09:05+0000  by toolnut

Welcome to the forums toolnut! I'm ChrisFixit from the Atlanta area Home Depot.

I understand your concern about only using clips on the perimeter of the tiles. I've put together two or three displays of these tiles in my store now and haven't had an issue with center tiles moving at all. The tiles fit together very tightly and have just enough weight so that them pulling away from the floor is a non issue. The graphic on the first page is sort of confusing when you see the white grid space between the tiles but believe me it doesn't exist.

room5.jpg

In my opinion the main benefit of only securing the perimeter tile line is that if an interior tile becomes damaged for any reason you can remove (pry it up with a paint scrapper or the like) and replace it with very little fuss. The clips and the grooves they fit in are very tight. If you used clips throughout the floor and had to replace a tile you'd be in for quite the battle.

The main display in my store has been out since February and gets walked on constantly and I've seen no evidence of the slightest movement. So in short as long as the perimeter tiles are securely clipped in place the interior tiles have no room to wiggle out. I hope this is helpful and for more information on the install process give us a shout and check out the Multy Home website.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-05-08T17:56:44+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

I have an absolute nightmare of a time by choosing to caulk these tiles. 

1) Problem #1.   Water still gets in, seemingly through the pores of the surface, and then gets trapped underneath (especially if you're on a flat surface)

2) Problem #2.  When weather gets hot, the trapped heat from under the tiles will cause the tiles to bubble up.   It looks like a  scene from the movie 2012 with the roads all crumpled and extruding into the surface.  

I'm still waiting for a good solution keep these tiles in place without the rain water getting in the way.  There are two options I'm considering

1)  Resurfacing my balcony with a pitch/angle, and then just laying the rubber tiles on top without caulk / glue.   Hopefully the rain water will all drain through from under and not get trapped.

2)  Glueing the entire bottom surface down with a Rubber Tile Adhesive.  A rubber decking company has suggested a product called "ChemRex 941"  that seems like a good candidate.   But i'm still hesitant if rain water seeps in through the pores, whether the glue will holdup well .  

Posted 2011-06-16T00:00:57+0000  by Graywoolf

Hello Graywoolf and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here.  

I called the manufacturer of Envirotiles and they did not comment on the ChemRex 941product that you mentioned.  Plan #1 - adjusting the pitch/angle of the balcony - seems to be the best solution.  The tiles are made from recycled rubber so the heating problem will always be an issue.  If you can make the surface drain on its own, there should be no trapped water underneath.  Gravity is a wonderful force!

Can you provide more information about the balcony surface and location?  Were there any other drainage issues before you used the Envirotiles?  Are there any local restrictions on drainage from a balcony (if it is several stories off of the ground)?

It would be helpful if you could send us a photo so we can recommend the best course of action for you.  Best wishes and thank you for joining The Community.

Posted 2011-06-17T19:40:54+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

I have a few questions about the Envirotile product.

First: I assume this is a relatively new product since there doesn't seem to be much literature or discussion out in the cloud yet, so is there any information from the manufacturer about expected longevity?  A 5-year limited warranty doesn't provide me with much confidence that the product has a long life expectancy.  Rubber products are often prone to UV damage.  Can I expect that this product will last 20 years before needing replacement?  30 years?  More?  At $7/tile, it will cost a lot for me to install this over my big concrete patio, so I'd like assurances that it will last awhile.

Second: similar to my first question, is there any information from the manufacturer about fade resistance?  I'm leaning towards the gray tile, which I think will probably experience the least amount of fading, but what if I decide to go with one of the darker colors?  My installation location experiences a lot of shade on one side and a lot of sun on the other - will my patio look goofy after one summer's worth of sun exposure, with dark tiles on the shady side and light tiles on the sunny side?

Third: how about moss resistance?  I live in the pacific northwest.  Currently I have to power-wash the moss off my patio every couple of years.  If I cover this patio with the rubber tiles, will the moss simply grow on the tiles instead?  While I don't mind power-washing the patio every few years, will the rubber tiles hold up to being power-washed?  Slightly different problem - will the moss grow underneath the tiles?  I am much less willing to disassemble the whole kit'n'kaboodle every few years to clear out the moss underneath the tiles!

Fourth: is it TRULY resistant to warpage?  I've seen a lot of playgrounds with rubber tiles and a lot of them seem to have curled corners, which end up being a trip hazard (and look bad too). 

I guess the bottom line to all my questions is: can we see more data from the manufacturer?  In-service data?

Thanks,

S. Hansen

Posted 2011-06-28T20:22:54+0000  by shazam777

Hello shazam777 and welcome to The Community!  I am glad that you joined our discussion.

I spoke to the manufacturer of the Envirotiles to get the best response to your questions. 

As for the warranty and longevity of the tile, the product has been tested for 5 years to confirm performance and has been available in the marketplace for 3 years.    

With UV exposure, the sheen on the tiles will fade to a matte finish.   The grey color will experience the least amount of color fading (some fading will be noticeable).

As for the moss, is the patio in a shady area?  The manufacturer told me that they have not had any comments about moss growing underneath or on top of the tiles.  The tiles will withstand power-washing as necessary. 

The Envirotiles will not curl so trip hazards and unattractiveness from warping should not be a concern.   (You may have seen some overseas imported tiles with undisclosed fillers that reacted poorly in extreme weather conditions.)

There is a great room visualizer, product calculator, and installation video available on the manufacturer’s website.

Best wishes on your concrete patio project and please keep us posted on your progress. 

dw69.png

Posted 2011-07-01T13:35:44+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+