Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Trim around garage window or other ways to finish?

Hello,

I'm interested in any suggestions as to how to finish the trim (or frame?) around a garage window.  The garage was an addition to the house and apparently was let unfinished.

Two photos below.

Thanks much,

J. Peterson

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-09-27T17:52:43+0000  by jpeterson jpeterson

Hello jpeterson and welcome to the Community.

Here is a video showing how to install trim around a door.  The process is the same for a window, except you install one more piece across the bottom. Her is a  links with instructions for this type of project.

If your walls are insulated you would want to use some window foam insulation before you install the casing.  Like the blue can of Great Stuff for windows and doors.

If you have a gap between the out side of the casing and the drywall you can use a small bead of caulk to fill that in.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-09-27T18:56:00+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
From your picture it looks like the frame of the window is proud of the drywall in some spots and behind it in others, which will make it a challenge to get a neat trim job.  I might suggest using a hand plane and planing any parts of the window frame that are proud of the drywall flush (or nearly) to the drywall.  There isn't much you can do about the parts of the frame that are behind the drywall but a little paintable caulk will cover those gaps.

I'm actually more concerned about the water stains on the drywall around the window?  Does the window show any evidence of leaking?  If the window is leaking, that something you want to address quickly.  Moisture and wood is an open invitation for insects.

As aside, I've never heard the tool they use in the video to make the reveal line called a "set square."  I've always called it a "combination square."
Posted 2016-09-27T23:26:06+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+