Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Trim around window that has tile installed halfway up recess?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and am looking for some advice on what to do with the window in my bathroom.

Right now, the entire bathroom is tiled about halfway up, and when it gets to window, the tile continues into the window recess. I removed the previous owner's valance and would like to add an inner roman shade instead, however, the window looks very unfinished so I was thinking about adding some trim around it.

Is this common practice to do or will it look weird since the trim will stop where the tile starts? I attached a couple pictures if that explanation sounded confusing (which I'm sure it did). It's not in my budget right now to remove/replace tile, so I'm trying to work with it as much as possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Dylan

Bathroom1.jpg  Bathroom2.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-26T15:59:17+0000  by dleopold623 dleopold623

Hey Dylan,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

And also, thanks for posting the images to your window and tile so we can get a better idea of its status.

In my opinion, as long as you have a new roman shade that you like, I think the aesthetics won't make the window look too unfinished once the shade is in. Even with that, you can add elements such as the following:

We do carry several versions of small quarter round and pencil-type edge tiles. However, lots of these will require you to cut into the bottom row of tiles. Some though, can be surface-mounted as long as they have a smooth and curved lip, not a rough edge like the flush-mounted types.

Also, you can use wood moulding in the form or quarter round or a similar substrate such as plastic to achieve the look you want.

In either case, you will need to mitre or cut where the sides and top of the window sill meet so you have a smooth finalized look.

However, use a small strip or wood or similar moulding no more than the height of the bottom row of tile can and will give you that final look. You can at least to the top portion of the sill, and end the moulding by cutting it at an angle, like the mitre edge if you like.

Bottom line, the choices are entirely up to you, and you will need at minimum to make sure the sill is sealed properly either with caulk or with grout (or even both). Even after you decide to use trim, ensure what you installed is sealed by using sealant such as silicone caulk.

Come down to your local Home Depot and check out the tile and moulding options we carry. You'll be surprised at how many options you have in our aisles.

Best of luck to you, and let us know your progress on your window as well as the blinds you pick out.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-03-27T20:29:45+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+