Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Trouble starting my lawnmower

Hi,

I had a purchased a nice Toro lawnmower @ HomeDepot approx 3 years ago. Used it approx 10-15times that season.

I had a gardener maintain my yard for the last 2 years. He used his own lawn mower.

So mine was parked in the garage for a while.

I no longer have a gardener and need to mow my lawn.

So I filled in adequate fuel and oil and tried to start the lawn mower. But can't seem to start it. Tried the choke.

Tried several times. no luck.

any suggestions for other troubleshooting methods.

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-25T23:19:20+0000  by samar_kanguri samar_kanguri

Howdy, Hello, and Hi Samar_Kanguri,

It's great that you've decided to mow your own lawn. There are many positive reasons take care of your own yard such as saving money.

Starting problems with a lawn mower fall in  2 basic causes: ignition problems and fuel problems. 

First make sure the spark plug wire is firmly attached to the spark plug. A bad connection is quite common.

If the engine continually shuts off it may be the air filter. Foam filters can be cleaned with dish washing liquid and water and dried with a rag. If the filter is paper it will need to be replaced.

Do you have a gas filter? if so is it clear? If not replacing it is a good idea.

Next replace gasoline in a lawnmower before trying to start. Fuel can go bad in as little as 2 months. The best plan of action would be to disconect the fuel line to flush out the old fuel.

Unfortunately if you worked enough of that bad gas into the carburetor it might have to flushed by a lawnmower shop.

Usually when a lawnmower is going to be put away for a long period of time a gas additive should be placed in the tank to keep the gas from going bad.

I hope this solves your problem,

Yours Respectfully,

Posted 2011-04-26T00:27:40+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+