Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Troubleshooting/Ceiling Fan

I just bought a Hampton Bay remote control ceiling fan-Southwind 52-inch and am having trouble with getting the blades to spin. The remote control works fine for the light fixture but when I go to try to turn on the fan all I hear is a faint click and then another faint click after that.  The motor sounds like it wants to start but it never does.  This is the second brand new Hampton Bay fan I have bought from Home Depot online and have encountered the same problem.  I've checked the wiring multiple times.  I've installed a similar fan in my bedroom, also with a remote, and had no problem!  I returned the first fan thinking it was a bad motor.  But happening a second time is making me think I may be doing something wrong that I am unaware of.  I am not an electrician. Can you please advise?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-05T23:16:16+0000  by Stallion Stallion

Hello Stallion.  Welcome to the Community!

Most of the time I would agree that after 2 "bad" units that operator error is the issue.  Not this time.  The fact that the remote operates the lights tells me that the remote and receiver are in sync.  The wiring to the fan motor is color coded and easily checked.  My guess is that you indeed got 2 defective fans.  However, there are people in our Hampton Bay Support Team who deal with these kinds of issues all day long, and I recommend you contact them for further suggestions.  You will need the UPC code for your fan, which will be located on a sticker facing towards the ceiling on the motor housing.  If this is your Southwind fan, in brushed nickel, then your UPC would be 082392 523794.

Here's the contact info for our support team:

In addition, this fan is made by King of Fans, and they also have support representatives that may help you as well.  You can find them here:

Chris.

Posted 2015-07-07T19:29:18+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+