Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Trying to fix a replaced carpet...

My dog dug a couple holes in the carpet so we went to the store and bought some more carpet to repair the holes with.

In our second bedroom, that is never used, the new carpet we bought matched the original carpet almost perfectly. It had a slight peachy tint to it, but nothing too noticeable. However, where the replacement went, the original carpet is too stained and dirty to match the patch. I plan on shampooing the carpet to get as much of the stain out as possible, and I suggested to my hubby that maybe we make it a point to just walk on the patches, to get them kind of dirty and stained, to match the permanently dingy looking original carpet.

Well, if anyone has any other ideas that I can use to solve this issue, I would greatly appreciate the help. My little idea seems a little outrageous, but it's the only thing I've been able to come up with.

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-11-09T17:51:42+0000  by tinkrip tinkrip

Hello tinkrip!  Designing Woman here to help you and your carpet situation. 

I agree that a good carpet cleaning is in order.  You can do it yourself through our Tool Rental Department or make an appointment with our carpet department for professional cleaners (Chem-Dry Carpet Cleaning). 

If you choose to do-it-yourself, I have found several spot cleaners to be effective.  My favorite ones are Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remove or Zep Aerosol Spot Carpet Cleaner.  (Note: If you have used any prior products on the stained areas, please blot with water to dilute any residual product that may be in the stained area.)

Folex bottle.jpg          Zep 113001.jpg

On a hidden area of carpet, test for color fastness and stability by applying one of the above products as directed on the packaging.   If the test area shows the carpet to be colorfast and color stable, you are good to go!

Spray the product on the stain. The heavier the stain, the more cleaning product will be needed to remove the stain.  Be careful not to saturate the stain – you do not want the cleaner to not push the stain into the carpet backing or pad underneath.   Gently tap the cleaner into the spot with your fingers (be sure to wear gloves).   

This should release the stain from the carpet fibers.  Carefully blot up the stain with a clean, absorbent cloth or paper towel.  Repeat the process for tougher stains.  Allow the carpet to dry. 

Please let me know how this turns out.  I love seeing photos of your carpet – and your carpet-loving dog too!

Posted 2010-11-09T18:22:18+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+