Sign In to join the community | Help

Tub support

Can i use only plywood as a support for under my Sterling Ensemble tub and wall set.
If yes, what type of plywood is recommended?
I currently have six 2 x 8's running across the the area the tub will rest in.
So plywood on the joists?
Thank You,
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-02-13T19:52:07+0000  by Danbrady Danbrady
Hello DanBrady.  Welcome to the Community!

As far as the floor goes, it must be flat and level, with sufficient strength to support the weight of the tub, user and water.  A sub-floor of 3/4 plywood on top of the floor joists usually meets that requirement.

Typically you will find that tub installs require a rim brace underneath both sides and the back wall.  This is often done with 2x lumber, but plywood could be carefully layered if you really wanted to.

The Sterling tub installation instructions are different.  Please refer to your install manual.  This tub has a direct to stud mount using clips supplied to support the back and sides.  No under-mount rim support lumber is used, as it would interfere with the supplied clips.

You can find an example of what I am talking about here:
Sterling tub installation


Posted 2018-02-13T20:55:22+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question