Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Tub/Shower problems

I have little to no water pressure running from my tub/shower. I have the 3-handle with the shower diverrtor.  When I turn the water on (hot or cold) there's barely any water coming out then try pulling the diverter for the shower all I get is a drizzle from the shower.  I've replaced both valve stems and washer seats, replaced both tub spout and shower head and still nothing.  I've taken them off again (valve stems, and tub spout) ran the water and got good pressure from the cold water and decent pressure from the hot, (wasn't the same amount of pressure from both) and nothing from the pipe that runs out for the spout.  I live in a very old house with old pipes and I'm guessing the water heater is just as old.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-07-09T18:33:49+0000  by DJ69 DJ69

Hi Dj69,

Older homes will have a build up of mineral deposits in the plumbing, these deposits are the results of hard water and sediment in the water heater. As water is used the deposits travel to the faucets and valves and build up, clogging the valves and slowing water flow.

In the case of your shower valve, the passages in the body of the valve are restricted due to these deposits. When you remove the stems the flow is freer as the restrictions are by passed, with the stems in place the water is forced through the restricted areas and the flow is reduced.

The only solution is to replace the shower valve with a new one.

Mike

Mike
Posted 2017-07-10T19:21:18+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Ok will try that, thanks for the advice.  Will let you know how it goes
Posted 2017-07-14T00:58:46+0000  by DJ69
Ok will try that, thanks for the advice.  Will let you know how it goes
Posted 2017-07-14T00:58:46+0000  by DJ69
Does by any chance your home have galvanized steel pipes?  They will be a silver color compared to the, well, copper color of copper pipes.   Also, any joints (couplings, elbows, etc.) are threaded together rather than soldered like copper pipes.  If so, after many years the inside of those pipes tend to rust restricting the flow of water.  The only solution is to replace them.
Posted 2017-07-14T11:04:29+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+