Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Turf Builder used on boxwoods Help!

Help! Half-mindly applied Scotts Turf Builder for crabgrass prevention to some of my boxwoods. I accidentally grabbed the Turf builder instead of the fertilizer and started applying it to part of my boxwood garden before I realized I had grabbed the wrong bag. I scrapped up as much of it as I could and hosed the rest away from the plants to the best of my ability, but Im extremely worried I just killed some of my boxwoods. Any idea on whether this will kill my plants or if there is anything I can do to prevent it from killing my boxwoods? 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-07-31T23:52:29+0000  by Kenny48 Kenny48

Greetings Kenny48,

What a fright it must have been to see that you had applied the, pre-emergent crabgrass control, instead of your evergreen food, but I have to say you acted quickly and took the steps and did exactly what I would have advised.

Removing the excess of the pre-emergent straight away was key, and then to flush the area with water was the right move.The only other tactic I could have recommended, is after excess was removed to use a leaf blower, but that would just displace the product to other areas.

Pre-emergents also have a fertilizer, plus the weed preventer that builds an invisible barrier that inhibits and prevent weed seed from germinating. The fertilizer analysis for Scotts Turf builder- crabgrass control is 30-0-4, so the nitrogen should help green up your boxwood, but the product will do nothing for the root structure.

Keep up the watering, and wait to apply any other fertilizer to your boxwood friends for at least 6-8 weeks.

I do not think that you have harmed your boxwood.

Water at the soil level, because water on the foliage could lead to some leaf burn, scorching at this time of the year due to the intense rays of the sun.

It will all be okay, let us know how things are growing,

Maureen
Posted 2018-08-02T12:47:23+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Hello Kenny48.

You have already done all you can to prevent harm to your boxwoods.  By quickly hosing off any product that stuck to the foliage, you have prevented the chemicals from harming the plants.  This is regardless of which granular Scott's Turf Builder product you inadvertently used.

To set you mind more at ease, let me show you a picture of two products.

The one on the left is what I think you are referring to.  It is Turf Builder with Halts' and contains fertilizer and a pre-emergent that is fairly harmless to most established plants.  Even if you never found out that you used this product on your boxwood plants, it is unlikely that any damage would come from it.

If you used the product on the right, it contains weed killers as well and would be a problem to apply to any of your garden plants.  The actions you took to quickly rinse off any product that need time to absorb into the plant foliage most likely prevented any harm as well.

In either case, the small residual Turf Builder product left on the ground around your boxwood plants will not harm them.
As Maureen said, "It will be OK".

Chris.

Posted 2018-08-03T15:13:32+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+