Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Two Black wires and two white wires

I'm replacing a basement pull string light and adding a switch for the light.

I removed the original pull string light and found two black wires grouped together and two white wires grouped together. 

My light switch wire has one white, one black, and one ground. I'm able to wire the the switch, but have an issue. 

When the switch is in the off position the new light turns off, but it also turns off the power to two outlets upstairs.

How do I wire the new switch to make sure it only controls the new light and maintains power to both outlets upstairs??
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-09-23T01:37:46+0000  by tmnoll tmnoll

What you have is power coming in one of the two black wires and heading on to your receptacles on the other black wire.  What you need to create is what's called a "switch" loop.  You didn't mention what wiring method you are using but we'll assume you're using NM-B cable (aka Romex).

Obviously with the power off...

At the existing light fixture, what you want to do is connect the two existing black wires at the light fixture together with the black wire of the piece of Romex running to your switch with an appropriately sized wire nut.  Then using a permanent black marker color the last 3" of the white wire and connect that to the brass screw of the light fixture.  If the light fixture has leads, then connect the reidentified white wire to the black wire.  Connect the two existing white wires at the light fixture to the silver screw of the light fixture.  If the fixture has leads, connect the two existing white wires to the white lead.   

At the wall switch, connect the black wire from the new piece of Romex to the bottom screw.  Again, color the last 3" of the white wire with black permanent marker and connect that to the top screw of your light switch.  Make sure everything is properly grounded in both locations.

That should solve your problem.  Let us know if you have any questions.     
Posted 2018-09-23T11:07:40+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+