Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Two tone cabinets

I am interested in doing a two tone cabinet in my kitchen using black and red....

My husband thinks I am crazy and thinks it won't work or look good....

can you tell me what approach would be better with these colors ...a top and bottom cabinet...each differant colors ..or a mix on each individual cabinet (example tram black and drawers red)....

what type os stain and paint would you use?

Please advise....even if you agree with HIM (LOL)...I can switch colors if need be....

Thank you....

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-09T16:44:12+0000  by 4everyoung 4everyoung

Foreveryoung.

Just a couple personal observations: Strong bold colors are indeed very striking. They can, however, become very tiring is short order. It is also very easy to get a very "busy" look and a very "kitschi" look. I realize such terms are not very precise, but I think you know what I mean.

To me, doors red on black base cabinets( or reversed) would border on kitschi. However, red cabinets above and black below might be interesting. Or, all black or all red against  the opposite colored backwalls.

With such strong colors, I don't think you would want to introduce other colors, but a gray tone, or simply white, might be interesting on other walls  and surfaces.

On the positive, in the worst case scenario, cabinets can always be relatively easily  re-painted. However, commitment to such colors on hard surfaces such as wall and floor tile and countertops requires great effort and expense.

As to what materials to use: my first choice would be a hard, glossy oil enamel. Oil enamels form very hard, durable surfaces which touch up relatively easily. Oil enamels also flow out and level better than acrylics, especially if applied by brush and roller. My first choice of  a primer would be an oil base product applied after a thorough cleaning and scuff sanding of the cabinets.

You mentioned stains. Stains are only applied to bare wood ,into which the stain can penetrate. Stains require the detailed, thorough stripping of the wood. It  is much more labor than simply painting. It would also not result in the vibrant colors you are thinking about. It is extremely difficult to get non-virgin wood grain to open up to accept  drastic color changes from the original color.

I hope this helps, but I might have just created more doubts and indecision. :(

Posted 2013-03-09T18:01:37+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+