Sign In to join the community | Help
Gift Ideas

Unable to get new refrigerator waterline hooked up

i had a new refrigerator delivered today. At time of purchase, I bought waterline kit. Upon seeing that my waterline is copper, the delivery technician informed me they do not hook up new refrigerators to copper waterlines. The only reason he gave me is that this is Home Depot’s policy. At time of purchase at Home Depot store, nothing about copper waterlines was discussed with me. Now I have to hire a plumber. I’m very disappointed. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-12-21T17:45:42+0000  by KAL6870 KAL6870

I don’t work for the Home Depot or represent them in any way but I’m really curious about your situation.  Typically a refrigerator install requires an existing shut off and a new supply line (which you purchased).  Do you have an existing shutoff? 
Posted 2019-12-22T04:18:37+0000  by Adam444
Hi KAL6870,

Our delivery service is an independent company not owned by the Home Depot, they will connect the water to the refrigerator if you have a shutoff on the wall behind the refrigerator. It sounds like you have a remote shutoff either under the kitchen sink or in your laundry room, with the corresponding copper line. Since the line travels through the wall or through the cabinets, they cannot check for leaks back to the source. Having no knowledge of the age or condition of the line, they will not connect it to the refrigerator. You will need a plumber or handyman to handle the connection. This policy is to assure a proper and leak free connection and the safety of your home.

Mike
Posted 2019-12-26T21:18:51+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Mike,

I’ve heard of installers wanting the shutoff in the kitchen, they can’t go wondering around looking for shutoff, but behind the ‘fridge?  Wow, that’s interesting.  I get the reason but what percentage of American homes actually have one there?
Posted 2019-12-28T13:04:45+0000  by Adam444
Hello Mike,
Original poster here. Thank you for the detailed explanation. The Hone Depot rep who sold me the refrigerator and the Home Depot installation instructions paperwork I was given only stated that the waterline shutoff valve be no more than 6 feet from refrigerator and be located on the same floor. My situation met both of those criteria, so I believed I was ok for waterline hookup at delivery. My waterline is copper and does travel through kitchen cabinets, and the shutoff valve is no more than 6 feet from the refrigerator. Home Depot needs to do a better job of communicating the amount of detail you included in your post at the time the refrigerator is sold and also on the paperwork with delivery instructions given at the time of purchase. The independent contractors that deliver the refrigerator should not have to explain the level of detail you included in your post to the customer at delivery, and deal with an upset, disappointed Home Depot customer. The delivery team that delivered my refrigerator were very polite, professional and helpful. 
Posted 2019-12-29T14:25:27+0000  by KAL6870
Hi Kal6870.

One of the problems we encounter is the use of independent delivery services. We have contracts with these companies and the instructions given to the delivery staff is very specific, however the delivery staff is told to error on the side of caution, making a connection and not being able to check for leaks back to the source is risking flooding your entire home, that would be a much more distressing result than no hookup at all! 

Mike
Posted 2019-12-30T20:10:03+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+