Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Undersink wall rot/replacement

I have an older house and the wall under the sink is falling to pieces.  What are the common materials to replace this wall?  is drywall the way to go?  Plaster? Is there something i can coat the wall with to help it stand up to any moisture?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-21T16:24:10+0000  by kimble kimble

Hello Kimble,


Welcome to the community.


Well my first question would be where is the moisture coming from and have you fixed the problem yet? You may want to take off a section of the plaster to make sure that the framing has not been affected by the moisture. Once you’ve fixed the issue you can precede to fixing the wall.


If you have an older home the walls may be lath and plaster. If this is the case you can repair it with plaster wall patch if the hole is small otherwise you will need to use metal lath and plaster wall patch to fix it or you can also use a comparable thickness piece of drywall or green board. Green board is moisture resistant drywall. It’s normally use in wet locations like a bathroom.

              Plaster Wall Patch.jpg Metal Lath.jpg   Green Board.jpg

If the wall is falling to pieces like you mentioned then you should probably cut out a large enough piece to go just beyond the affected area to the nearest stud. That way you will have a nice sound area to attach the repair piece to.


As far as something to coat it with I would recommend just putting a good coat of primer and then a good coat of paint. The wall under the sink should not have moisture on it on a regular basis anyway so if the original issue is corrected the wall should be fine.


Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2012-12-21T22:44:32+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question