Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Use paint to update your metal patio set

I made this video for Mary in Idaho, but the ideas are the same for any Community Member.

Here's an idea for a winter DIY project once you store your patio furniture indoors.

Simply prep your metal set with sandpaper, some elbow grease, and a fresh coat of paint.

Rust-Oleum Universal Spray is paint and primer-in-one and the tip will spray with the can up-side-down or right-side-up ... which makes reaching those difficult nooks much easier.

Oil-Rubbed Bronze is very popular.

Do the prep now ... when you store your set.

Then you'll be ready to spray the new finish in a well-ventilated basement or garage.

Completing this project in the winter will allow you to enjoy the outdoors at the first signs of spring.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-12-04T19:48:06+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

I assume this techinique would be the same for repainting outdoor metal railings on a porch and steps?  Through time the paint is peeling and it is showing some rust and age.  I would like to put a fresh coal of paint on it, but i would need to get the old peeling paint off first.  is this the best way to go about repainting outdoor metal railings?

Best Answer

Posted 2010-12-31T19:27:59+0000  by jacks013

Hello jacks013! Thanks for picking up the thread!

Rusted and flaking handrails have so many corners that preparing them for paint by hand can be slow and tedious.

I would suggest the same basic approach as in the Lawn Furniture video, but I might look in the Hardware Department for an adjustable speed tool like the vibrating multi-tools sold by Dremel, Ryobi, Bosch, and Rigid.

The variable speed will give you quick results and the shape of the sanding head will allow you to reach into almost any area to remove that flaking paint and rust. Use an 80-grit to remove heavy flake and rust, and then switch to a 150-grit to smooth the surface before painting. Wipe the sanding dust off and you're ready to build a fresh, new finish.

Be sure to use primer! It acts like double-stick tape for paint ... giving you great adhesion, and a smooth, long-lasting finish.

The topcoat almost certainly will be one of the Rustoleum oil products (brush on or spray). You should look for the yellow seal on the label that says, "Stops Rust."

Finally, I didn't mention drop cloths in the video, but you certainly need them. Oil-based primer and paint adhere very well to your iron handrails and it will adhere just as well to your walkway, house, porch, etc. So prevent a secondary repair on this project by covering everything that overspray or paint drips could reach.

The accent of "new handrails" should bring out the curb appeal of your home!

NOTE: Most oil products dry slowly in cold weather and in high humidity. So plans this project when the temps climb above 70 degree Fahrenheit.

Have a great winter and an even better spring!

Posted 2011-01-04T19:45:05+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to start a message. I am going to be re-painting a large metal gate with 4 smaller gates. How do I estimate how much paint I am going to need when it's not a flat surface? How to calculate square footage? Also, can I use a spray painter since in 'gate' footage it will be 181 sq feet 2 sided? I figured it will take me too long to hand paint.

Posted 2011-02-20T19:47:07+0000  by joleej

Hey joleej!

Calculating square footage is the right idea ... length time height will give you a starting point. Use a rough estimate of the percent of your gates that are open spaces (ex. 30 percent open, 70 percent solid) and subtract for the open surfaces from your calculation. This will give you an estimate.

Spray cans do not typically provide coverage numbers, but I expect to get about 12 - 15 square feet per can and expect to put on three light coats about 45-minutes apart. Buy 15 percent more paint than you expect to use and return those that you do not use. This will prevent stopping in the middle of the last coat.

Since your gates are metal, you might consider using one of Rustoleum's oil-based paints with the words "Stops Rust" on the label. They make both primer and paint that are specifically designed to protect metal surfaces ... you will love the results.

If you make this second choice, consider purchasing an inexpensive project sprayer that is designed to spray oil products, but that you will not mind discarding if the oil-based paints ruin the pump.

A quart of oil-based paint and a quart of primer will likely complete your entire project if your calculation come to 100 square feet or less. If more, purchase a gallon of each.

The cost, including the project sprayer, should be no more than $125 - $150.

NOTE: In my region, pollen is already in the air. If this is an issue for you, consider waiting until the pollen stops falling before starting this project.

Posted 2011-03-01T16:28:43+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+