Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Using Martha Stewart Metallic Paint or Precious Metals Paint to refinish a chair

I would like to paint a chair using the Martha Stewart Metallic Paint. It is a traditional solid wood chair with a cherry finish and probably polyurethane finish over it. Do I need to sand the chair before applying the metallic paint or use a primer or just simply paint over the chair as is? Also, would you recommend that I use the Martha Stewart Precious Metals Paint or the newer, smaller Metallic Paint (I like the color Thundercloud)?

Thanks for your help!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-16T20:58:27+0000  by pattyrileywu pattyrileywu

What a great project PattyRiley!!!

Your steps to success are just this simple:

1) Buff sand with 220-grit sandpaper to break the gloss on the polyurethane;

2) Prime with oil-based Zinsser Cover Stain that is tinted to look similar to Thundercloud; and

3) Paint with either ML Precious Metals or the newer metallic paint.

Recently when publishing a faux finishing answer, a young lady asked for an example of ML Precious Metals on cabinets. She said her home was contemporary and she wanted a less traditional look on her cabinets.

This example is what I made to demo her idea ... she loved it!!!

BoisBorder.JPG 

This cabinet was primed with Cover Stain and then painted a semi-gloss off-white base coat. The center panel is ML Faux Bois wood grain using a medium brown faux glaze, bordered by ML Precious Metals in a gold color.

With the exception of the base coat and the Faux Bois, these are the same steps you'll use on your project.

Your solid wood chair will look great with either of the current metallic paints!

When you're done, come back and share a photo of your handiwork.

Posted 2012-07-17T13:13:53+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+