Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Using a sand finish paint additive

I'm going to paint our living room today, and it was originally painted by the previous owners with a sand texture added to the paint they used. I've had numerous areas with nail holes and other nicks and blemishes that I've gone over with spackle to help cover up these areas, then sanded after it dried. I've got my paint (Behr Marquee Paint and Primer) and bought some Sheetrock sand finish paint additive that I thought I would add to my paint so when painting over the areas I've touched up with the spackle it would have the sand texture to match the rest of the wall. My question is what's the best way to go about doing this? Should I mix the 8 oz. of sand finish additive to a whole gallon of paint and just go about painting the walls, or should I mix a smaller amount of paint in a separate bucket, maybe a quart or 2 with a smaller amount of the sand additive and apply that with a brush to my areas I used spackle and let it dry, then paint the rest of the walls with paint that doesn't have any sand mixed in, blending in the areas I've touched up? Or is there a better way to go about this? I'm just not sure what my best way to go about this is. I appreciate your feedback!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-02T06:21:19+0000  by sjscherf2024 sjscherf2024

Hi sjscherf2024,

I would go with the small quart sample and test to see how well the textures match. This will allows you to add additional sand as needed to match the existing texture before painting the entire wall.

This will assure that the repaired areas do not show through the new paint.

Mike

Posted 2016-05-02T17:37:38+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Definitely use a few tablespoons of paint and a sprinkle of sand finish, sjscherf2024.

The areas which were spackled need enough texture to match the rest of the room.

However, after you touch up these areas with texture, use just paint to cover the whole room with your new color.

Mixing patterns often creates an irregular appearance.

So, only using texture to match the spackled areas will be your safest approach.

Hope this helps,

Pat InPaint

Posted 2016-05-04T17:32:00+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Keep in mind that the old sanded texture might have been painted several times over the years. The new sanded patch will have sharply defined texture, whereas that sharpness would have been muted by coats of paint in the past. To this end, it might be a good idea to give the new patch additional spot coats of paint to approximate the more rounded texture of the old sand.
Posted 2016-05-04T19:00:43+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+