Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Using floor tile for countertops

My husband and I (mostly I) are redecorating our kitchen.  I've painted my walls and cabinets, and now comes the delema.  I want to use marble floor tiles for our countertops.  I know it can be done, I've seen them on HGTV and DIYTV.  The question is, what exactly do I need?  Cement board, I know, do I need to use a plywood base?  How do I do the front lips?  What all are the supplies I need, and after I get them, is it like tiling a floor?  I've done that before.  HELP!!  Oh, and is the cost going to be close to using VTI lamenant? 

Thanks,

Charliwolf:womanhappy:

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-04T18:04:21+0000  by charliwolf charliwolf

you can find information about ceramics in here:
קרמיקה
http://www.meir-hamair.co.il

Posted 2011-12-27T13:12:56+0000  by tipesh

Hey Charli how did that project go ?

I'm just being curious ?:smileyhappy: 

George

Posted 2011-12-05T20:41:22+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Thanks.

That's what I thought.  Another difference, my knees won't be killing me:womanvery-happy:!!!  

I actually knew about the grout and am planning on using what they call a zero-grout line.  Where the tiles are butted up against one another.  And, I'm going to use grout the color (or as close to it as possible) as the backround or base color of the tile. 

I really appreciate your help.  It's going to be a little while before I get to do it, Have to get my money and other things in order, first.  But, I like to plan out all of my little details, first...lol

Again, thanks,

Charli

Posted 2011-07-06T04:07:02+0000  by charliwolf

charliwolf wrote:

George,

Thanks, that's what I thought.  I'm the DIY-er in this house.  Yes, I did do all the work.  The only thing that I don't do, is move heavy stuff (I have a bad back and knees) and use power cutting tools.  My husband is scared to death I'll lose a hand....lol.  No, actually, I can freehand paint a straight line, but I can't cut one, even with scissors and an outline. 

I was telling my hubby that that was the steps, but he wanted me to find out for sure.  I have just joined the site, but have spent a lot of time reading things on here before I ever joined.  I appreciate the welcome, as well. 

One last question.  You answered all the others, but this one.  Once I get everything prepped for the actual tile, then it is like tiling a floor, right?  As I said, I have done that in the past.  Just no cutting...lol.

Thanks,

Charli

You are welcome Charli.

Yes it is almost like tiling a floor.

The only difference is that you want to use a non sanded grout  in oppose to sanded which you would normally use with the floor tiles.

Non sanded grout is easier to clean down the road, especially if sealed, and allows you to go with small grout lines. Small grout lines are the trick they look neater and blend in better and create an illusion of the one piece marble counter top.:smileywink:

Quick tip; start from the center of the sink with a full tile so there is no grout lines that are constantly exposed to cleaning and water; much more durable and proportionate installation than starting from one side and ending up with small pieces around the sink.

Posted 2011-07-05T21:07:14+0000  by George_HD_CHI

George,

Thanks, that's what I thought.  I'm the DIY-er in this house.  Yes, I did do all the work.  The only thing that I don't do, is move heavy stuff (I have a bad back and knees) and use power cutting tools.  My husband is scared to death I'll lose a hand....lol.  No, actually, I can freehand paint a straight line, but I can't cut one, even with scissors and an outline. 

I was telling my hubby that that was the steps, but he wanted me to find out for sure.  I have just joined the site, but have spent a lot of time reading things on here before I ever joined.  I appreciate the welcome, as well. 

One last question.  You answered all the others, but this one.  Once I get everything prepped for the actual tile, then it is like tiling a floor, right?  As I said, I have done that in the past.  Just no cutting...lol.

Thanks,

Charli

Posted 2011-07-05T20:49:22+0000  by charliwolf

Hi there Charliewolf and welcome to the community!

Charlie how did you end up doing “most” of the work? :smileyhappy: Was that a plan from the day one? :smileyvery-happy:

I shouldn’t be asking questions I should be answering them right...  :smileyvery-happy:

O.K how to build a tile counter top…

Step one would be a ¾” inch plywood base installation. Depth of the plywood base should 5/8” an inch shorter than total desired depth to compensate for the thickness of the tile, cement board and adhesive.

I guess step one partially answers the step two where cement or fiber board underlayment gets installed over the plywood base. To minimize deflection ½” cement board needs to be used. In addition cement board should be adhered with tile thinset and fastened down to the plywood base with underlayment screws. Once the cement board gets installed over the entire plywood base bullnose (front lips)  needs  to be covered with a strip of the cement board  previously buttered with tile thinset.

countertop.jpeg

Final step would be to install tiles and  provided link explains in detail different scenarios and alternatives that can be used. Please refer to the page two and my last post on this thread.

LINK    :smileywink:

Hope this helps and again welcome to the community.

George

Posted 2011-07-05T18:46:54+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+