Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Using stain on new wood

I am preparing to use Behr "Deck Over" on a new deck which has never been stained. I sanded the entire deck using a block sander my question is: can I now stain it or is it necessary to use the "product 63" by Behr. I thought by sanding it it would remove the mill glaze and open the pores for adhesion of the stain. Any help on this will be appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-14T23:39:22+0000  by p3d p3d

Behr's DeckOver isn't so much stain as it's really thick paint.  From my vantage point it's something used at the end of the life of a deck, not at it's beginning.  Personally, I'd use some kind of semi-transparent stain with plans to reapply every 3 years or so.

Posted 2013-09-14T23:54:57+0000  by Adam444

p3d,

The easiest way to test for mill glaze and the readiness of the deck to receive stain, is to sprinkle a little water upon it.  If the water beads up and is still standing there several minutes later, the deck needs more attention to open the grain - Behr Deck cleaner, more sanding, or several months of natural aging in the sun and rain.

I would agree with Adam in the other reply, DeckOver is intended for older decks which are showing aging, such as deep cracks n the grain. If you want the solid color look, simply use Behr's Solid Hide Deck Stain. It gives great protection at about a third of the net price. A gallon of solid hide covers about 300sf, as opposed to about 100 sf for DeckOver. Both products recommend two coats. 

Most people prefer to use transparent stains when the new deck is in virgin condition. Natural grain is hard to beat for beauty. That said, solid hide stains are generally less maintenance in the long run. They protect better and are easier to touch up.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-09-15T04:21:01+0000  by ordjen

Thank you both your suggestions were just what I needed. I would love to leave the wood as is but with the numerous deck screws I think it would look.... Also I am also re-doing some old deck that is very much in need and it has some new railing on it, I want to keep the same color throughout. The new wood is in an enclosed area I guess you would call it a sun room.

Posted 2013-09-16T00:00:15+0000  by p3d

Hello p3d!

Behr All-In-One does remove mill glaze to promote acceptance of stain.

However, it also kills mold and mildew.

When mildew is alive, it is translucent.

Many DIYers believe that because they don't see those black mildew spots, they don't have mildew on their decks.

However, most exterior surfaces have living, translucent mildew on them year-round.

Deck stains applied on top of living mildew will often show "mildew blooms" through the stain after several months.

These are noticeable black circles that bleed through the stain in multiple places across the surface of the deck (or house).

Behr All-in-One is recommended to ensure a long-lasting finish and uniform color ... by removing mill glaze but also by killing mold and mildew.

NOTE:

Lumber, both in transit from the lumber yard and sitting in the lumber bin at The Store, has mildew on the surface.

Don't forego the minimal labor and slight expense to clean your surface properly before applying your new coating.

Posted 2013-09-17T19:46:40+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+