Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Venetian Plaster

I used Behr Venetian Plaster about 10 years ago.  I still love the look but it needs "refreshing" and I needed to patch some holes from picture frames.

Can I paint over it?  Best way or type of paint to do so or is there something else I should do/use to give it a fresh coat look?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-15T04:51:34+0000  by MRS284 MRS284

Venetian Plaster

I used Behr Venetian Plaster about 10 years ago.  I still love the look but it needs "refreshing" and I needed to patch some holes from picture frames.

Can I paint over it?  Best way or type of paint to do so or is there something else I should do/use to give it a fresh coat look?

Welcome to the community MRS284. It’s great that you’re redoing this project just in time for the holidays.

This should be simple since your just refreshing it.

First step would be fill in the holes to have and sand to have a smooth surface.

Dap DryDEX

This ready-to-use DAP DryDex 1-Pint Spackling with Dry Time Indicator can be used for interior and exterior projects and features a dry time indicator that changes colors to help you know when the product is ready for sanding and painting.

• Ready-to-use formula with dry time indicator changes color when the optimum dry time is achieved
  • Use on drywall, plaster and wood (sold separately)
  • Ideal for interior and exterior projects
  • Can be sanded and painted
  • Applies pink and dries white

Second step smooth out your spackle with a 3M Fine Detail Area and Angled Drywall Sanding Sponge.

The 3M Fine Detail Area and Angled Drywall Sanding Sponge is used during spot repair for sanding drywall and plaster. This fine grade sponge is ideal for finishing sanding. Simply rinse after use and the sponge is ready for next time.

• For sanding drywall and plaster during spot repair
  • For wet or dry use
  • Use for fine grade finishing sanding

Third step :

This economical TSP Heavy-Duty General-Purpose Cleaner is ideal for cleaning surfaces in preparation for painting or for cleaning decks and siding. It is specially formulated to control lead paint dust.

• Heavy-duty multi-use cleaner
  • For cleaning decks and siding
  • Cleans surfaces in preparation for painting
  • Effectively controls lead paint dust

Fourth Step:

BEHR PREMIUM PLUS Stain-Blocking Primer & Sealer is 100% Acrylic, provides a mildew resistant finish and is high-hide white with a quick recoat time. It sticks to glossy surfaces, and is tintable for dramatic color changes. Your just priming the holes that you patched up.

• Ideal for drywall, galvanized metal, vinyl, aluminum, wood, concrete and on glossy surfaces or oil-based paint.
  • Sticks to Glossy Surfaces
  • High-Hide White
  • Quick Recoat Time
  • Tintable for Dramatic Color Changes
  • 100% Acrylic
  • Mildew Resistant Finish

Last Step

The BEHR Premium Plus With Style 1-Gallon Flat Venetian Plaster features a water-based acrylic formulation and is designed to create the old-world appearance of plastered or marbled walls. The heavy-bodied paint adds depth and dimension to your interior walls and complements your decor.

• Suitable for use on interior walls
  • Formulated for application with a trowel
  • Water-based acrylic formula should be applied in 2 coats on smooth surfaces
  • Flat-sheen paint can be burnished to create a marble-like finish
  • 1 container covers up to 150 sq. ft.

And Wallah You should have a refreshing room for the next ten years.

I hope this information was helpful, I would love to see pictures of this project when it done.

Posted 2012-11-15T19:12:07+0000  by Soheil_HD_BOS

I don't want to put more Venetian Plaster up.  Do I have other options for covering the existing plaster?  I like the textured look it has.

Posted 2012-11-15T19:49:34+0000  by MRS284

Mrs284,

The venetian plaster is very porous.I would advise primeing it with a dedicated primer such as Behr's No.75 acrylic primer before painting. The primer may be tinted toward your finish paint color.

The venetian plaster does leave a fair amount of texture on the walls .This texture will be apparent through a plain coat of paint. What I might sugges, which would give an interesting look, is to then go over your base coat of paint with a faux glaze. I would suggest rolling on a very thin coat of the glaze followed by a wiping down with cloths or paper towels. The glaze will stuck in the low spots of the texture and be wiped off the protuding texture. You can remove as much or little of the glaze as suits your taste.

A fairly safe way to chose a color for your faux finish is to select a base color from the Behr color charts. Then move down two or three levels on those charts to get the tint color to be mixed into the glaze. The glaze is diluted with paint at the ratio of one part paint to four parts glaze.

Behr does publish a broschure on Faux finishes which is free at the Paint counter. In the broschure are several suggested color selections.

Hope this has been of help

Posted 2012-11-16T06:12:30+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+