Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Vent for a flat roof

Does HD have anything to help me vent my flat roof?

Mike

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-06T18:09:12+0000  by MK1888 MK1888

That's great, I didn't know about the reflective coating.

I wasn't sure what you meant about the vents being for venting roof layers.  I should, or shouldn't, consider them for my rubber roof?

Mike

Posted 2012-07-11T00:26:50+0000  by MK1888

Something I forgot to mention;

It would help a lot if you were to seal-coat the roof with a reflective roof coating. These coatings helps against the sun's rays, keep the roof cooler and overall save on the cooling costs.

silver dollar.jpgsta kool.jpg

George 

Posted 2012-07-10T18:32:46+0000  by George_HD_CHI

You shouldn’t worry about snow; these vents are designed with the cap so that even if they get snowed in, harmless amount of snow will get in the tube. In addition to cap they also have a damper as well.

They are more designed to help in the hot summer months to dissipate heat in between roofing layers.

It also appears these vents are Store exclusive and that they’re available for purchase in select stores only. That’s why it causes errors when you try to order a product, sorry about that. You can visit our Pro Desk department at your local store- they should be able to order this from one of our roofing vendors such are ABC or Bluelinx.

George

Posted 2012-07-10T18:21:35+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Yeah, venting through the roof.  It's a black rubber roof and holds too much heat in that space in the summer.  I tried to "view local store pricing" for the Breather Vent, but it causes web page errors in every browser I try.  And I went to my local HD and couldn't find it.

Are those Breather Vents tall enough to not worry about snow?  I live in Southwest PA.

Posted 2012-07-09T22:08:57+0000  by MK1888

Hello Mike and thank you for joining our How-to-Community.

Mike you haven’t specified if you're venting through the actual roof or the side walls? 

If you are doing roof venting than one of the products you can use and buy from us is called Breather Vent;

breather vents.jpgjimco.gif

These are standard vents that are designed to release moisture and air pressure within the roof system. Breathers are normally used with "Hot" roof design to reduce ballooning of the EPDM or rubber and deterioration of the insulation. Typically they are used with "torch down" type of roofs to provide a heat outlet in between base sheet and the cap sheet.

If you were thinking more about "cold" roof venting than we have an option of special ordering  AURA commercial  vents thru one of our roofing  distributors;

Aura.jpgroof-curb-angle.jpg

The Aura Ventilator is a wind driven round gravity roof ventilator that has no moving parts, is non-electric, and is maintenance free. Vents are available in 4" inches through 72" inches :smileysurprised:in diameter openings.

Venting through the parapets it’s a complete different story. This is something that can be done using powered gable vents by supplying the air on one side of the structure and providing an outlet on the other end. However this is something that is normally designed with new construction and it entails a hand full of flashing details. My suggestion, before any alternations, is to run sidewall venting by your local building department.

Hope this helps.

George

Posted 2012-07-09T15:38:38+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+