Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Very small stripped screw

How can I remove a very small stripped screw? Trying to open my xbox 360 and I ran acrross several stripped screws.

Whats tools would I need to remove these screws.

The head of the screw is about 1mm thick and the diameter is about 5mm. The screw itself including the head is about 5mm tall. Sorry if my terms aren't right.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-01-20T22:36:02+0000  by trail trail

Hi BadHabit_,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

As an owner of a Olympus Stylus sport camera, I've been in the same situation you've been when trying to take out the screws.

Since you didn't give us the size for your camera, I can't accurately tell you what size extractor kit to use.

However, if you check your manual online, contact their customer service hotline,  or refer to the manual that came with your camera, you can tell what size screws you'll need.

Lastly, refer to my previous post on this thread if you know the screw size. The links provided will tell you the specific sizes. 

Please let us know if this has assisted you, and let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-11-26T16:44:42+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hey I have a Samsung Pl120 digital camera. I'm trying to replace the LCD screen which is cracked. However the screws I need to unscrew are stripped horribly. They are also very small. Do you guys have a kit that would be able to unscrew them??
Posted 2012-11-26T11:13:02+0000  by BadHabit_

good morning trail,

Welcome to the community: nice screen name:smileyhappy:

Kudos to you for digging in to repair your console, let's talk about how to get out those screws.

No matter how you approach this, remember to do so carefully so as not to damage the female threads. If you don't, I can't guarantee the new screw will go in correctly.

We sell items in our hardware department  that will remove stripped screws, called screw extractor kits, and work great for predicaments such as yours.  However, the kits we sell in the store tend to work only for larger household screw sizes that are much bigger than what holds your Xbox 360  together.

Luckily, we have a kit online that we sell that has a screw extractor available in 1/8 inch. This size is the equivalent to 3.17500 millimeters, which should work just fine for safely and securely taking out the 5mm worn screws. Below is a link and image of the product, while you will be buying more than 1 piece in this kit, it is the best way to take out your screws. Also, look at the highlighted specs on the image to learn how to extract the screws.

URREA Spiral Bolt-Screw Extractor Kit.jpg

As shown in the image, you will need to force the extractor in by hammer or mallet, however since your dealing with an Xbox 360 console, be very very careful in doing that. I would lightly tap it in as much as you can, and then take a pair of pliers to take the screw out. In fact, you can take the screw out with the extractor until it has enough clearance where you can safely take it out the rest of the way with the pliers. 

There are many kinds of pliers out there, but for this job, I would recommend to use long nose pliers. Also called needle-nose pliers, this tool works very well for close-up areas. If you use bulkier tools, you run the risk of scratching and damaging the console surface. Below is a picture of this great tool, one of my favorites....

Channellock Long Nose Pliers.jpg

Well trail, I hope this helps you out to take the screws out of your Xbox 360. Please let us know if this has helped you and if we can be of further assistance.

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-01-21T16:15:48+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+