Sign In to join the community | Help
Customer Care

Veteran Disappointed with home depot

I am pretty ashamed with home depot at this point.  The military discount is a mess and the customer service regarding it is a joke.  In some areas they will take up to 500 off  your purchase and in other areas the max is 50.  If customer "A" is given this discount in one area, then customer " b, c, and d" should be given the same treatment no matter where they shop or live.  Support your troops everywhere and give them all the same discount or don't support them at all.  I have reach out to HD corporate  offices, and local stores.  No one can tell me how this is a thing and how one person gets treated diffrent than another.   I have forward and reached out to many vet based groups in my area and this has been received as a VERY poor choice on upper management.  I have always supported HD but unless this gets straighten up ASAP I will never step foot into another hd store.  
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-05-20T17:49:57+0000  by Jhlear1775 Jhlear1775

I have found it all over the place at HD too. I have the best luck with military discounts at Lowe’s. You just scan your My Lowe’s card at each purchase and it automatically takes your 10% off. I haven’t found anything that the discount didn’t qualify on. Once at HD I found it funny that their “Freedome Fuel” wood pellets that are covered in the American Flag on the bag  is not covered by the military discount! 
Posted 2018-05-21T17:13:08+0000  by MamaBourg

Hello Jhlear1775,

First let me on behalf of all Home Depot associates thank you for your service, all vets are important to us and we admire and respect you all. Our official policy is 10% off your purchase up to a maximum of $500 on a single ticket purchase at all U.S. Home Depot Store locations to active duty personnel, reservists, retired and disabled veterans their spouses and dependent children with the proper military I.D.

Unlike Lowe's, this discount applies to sale as well as regular priced merchandise, however there are exceptions, those will be explained to you at the time of purchase. Lowe's only offers a military discount on regular priced merchandise and does not combine it with any other promotions. If you ever have an issue with the military discount, please speak to the store manager.

Mike, The Home Depot Answer Man

Posted 2018-05-21T19:26:46+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hello Jhlear1775 and MamaBourg.  We have routed your question to our customer care team to assist you.

Posted 2018-05-24T13:27:33+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL
I agree.   I am a retired Army officer & I went to Home Depot & tried to buy some lumber for a project & was told at check out that I could not get my military discount for lumber or building materials.  When I got home I checked the Home Depot web site for any information on their military discount & couldn't find anything so I called Home Depot Customer Care & asked where their military discount policy was at on their website.  I was told that it is not on the web site so their policy was emailed to me.  All it said was there might be some exclusions.  At Home Depot you have no way of knowing what they will give you the discount for until you show up & check out.  On the other hand, Lowe's policy was easy to find on their website & while it listed sources of supply that were excluded there was no mention of any type of products the discount was not applicable to.  When I pointed this out to the Home Depot Customer Care representative I was dealing with I got an apology & nothing else.  I urge all people eligible for a military discount to shop at Lowe's & not Home Depot.

Posted 2018-07-03T13:13:24+0000  by HarryatKCK
Also agree. Home Depot in Bangor, ME #2414 tells me they are limited to $50 and they are a "pilot" store or something like that. What the discount applies to is so unclear - hit or miss really, mostly miss. My wife and I picked out flooring here and expected a 10% discount, but were limited to $50 on almost $5,000 in flooring.

My advice to HD - look at how Lowe's does it. Simple registration, give them my phone number at checkout (and they always ask if I am a Veteran) and get my 10%. Easy. Or just get rid of the program all together at your stores rather than be deceptive.

HD is now my last resort.
Posted 2018-08-07T16:25:46+0000  by Newport
Fellow veterans:

For your big ticket purchases (above $1500) register as a Pro and let the Pro Desk know what you'd like to order.  They can send off your materials list to the "Bid Room" which can have discounts much better than 10% on generic items.
Posted 2018-09-05T04:08:52+0000  by BDCarrillo
I just got denied the military discount last night. I was with my dad who is retired Air Force, and he asked to get it on a $13 purchase, but had his ID in the truck. The lady said no because he didn't have his ID. Fair enough. I pulled out my expired military ID to show that I am a veteran. She said she couldn't accept it because it was expired. I told her it's expired because I'm now a veteran. She said she still can't accept it. So I dug deeper into my wallet and pulled out my VA card. She looked at it and said she can't accept that either, with a fucking smile on her face. She said it doesn't say "service connected". I told her it would only say that for disabled veterans and I'm not disabled. Then she told me I don't get a discount. 

It's not so much that we didn't get a $1.20 discount on the purchase, it's the fact that this lady took so much pleasure in denying it and why are veterans the only group that doesn't get a military discount out of active duty, reservist, spouses, children, retired, and disabled veterans?
Posted 2018-11-07T14:15:40+0000  by TheBFA

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+