Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Vinyl Flooring

I have vinyl flooring in my foyer, living room and dining room.  It is the wood grain look and came in a 12 foot roll.  I am now considering putting the same floor in my tv room kitchen and laundry room and down the hallway.  Does the flooring need to run in all the same direction or can I run it differently in the kitchen and tv room?  Right now in the area where it is already down it runs length wise and is one solid piece from end to end.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-04T23:32:59+0000  by ptillman ptillman

Good morning ptillman,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

The linoleum sheet doesn't have to run the same direction; it's up to you how it will be installed. However, most pros will tell you that the length of the 'planks' look better running towards a window/light source outdoors.

Reason why is that it makes the room look longer and gives it a better feel when entering it. But, at the end of the day, its personal preference as to where you want the direction to be installed.

If you decide to change the direction or not, just be sure you have a transition strip that can cover up where the seams meet. This is very important, as failure to do so can lead to the floor itself in that area coming up and/or making a trip hazard.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2015-08-05T14:07:20+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
What a great question ptillman!

If this floor were actual wood, the boards would go done perpendicular to the floor joists ... to build strength and support.

Obviously, that isn't necessary with vinyl, but my point is that floors often change direction in thresholds between rooms.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about joining the seams so they will not separate.

Transition strips will help cover the seams, but beneath the strip you need to ensure the seams remain permanently attached.

HOW?

This product creates a strong, lasting bond where the sheets meet.

A strong bond across the length of each seam will prevent the floor from separating and becoming a trip hazard.

Posted 2015-08-11T17:41:59+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+