Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Vinyl Sheet as Shower Wall

I want to use something like Home Depot# 204477671 corner shower kit only using vinyl sheet instead of fiberglass or plastic back walls.  This is for aesthetic reasons and tile (that looks good) is out of my budget.  The plan is to do the walls of the entire bathroom lower 4 feet in TrafficMaster Midnight Square Slate and the upper 4 feet in TrafficMaster White Marble.  I understand prep of subfloor and walls are critical as is the seal at the shower door frames and pan.  In the shower the vinyl would be going over new cement board and, if recommended, membrane.  I'd even be OK with replacing the shower vinyl every 5 years or so because the look of this combo would be worth all the trouble.  I also get this vinyl will be harder to clean than the plastic walls.  I've had so-called experts weigh in on both sides of this but when pressed I don't get any valid reasons why my plan won't work.  I'd REALLY appreciate hearing from either the manufacturer or someone who's tried this successfully or otherwise.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-25T21:11:47+0000  by Billschu Billschu

Hello Billscu and welcome to the Community.

Although this is an interesting concept it probably would not be practical.  The surface of this product has a urethane coating that would not hold up well with the frequent humidity and moisture contact.  The surface would "blush" and turn white.  You can test this for your self.  Using a sample, apply some moisture, cover with a bowl and see what it looks like in 24 hours. 

Secondly, this application would totally void any warranty.  Here is a link to the installation and maintains information as well as warranty information.  In it states to use a damp mop to clean and to clean up any spills immediately.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-05-26T15:32:44+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Hi Billschu,

I agree with Charlotte, this product is not designed for use on a vertical surface, in addition the heat and moisture in a shower will cause the tile to separate and fall off the walls. I would use one of the shower wall kits we sell in store or online for this project. The end result will be an easier installation and a low maintenance shower.

Mike

Posted 2016-05-26T15:50:44+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Thanks very much for the reasoned replies.  It would have looked awesome - in the beginning.  Shower kit with walls it is.
Posted 2016-05-26T18:31:24+0000  by Billschu

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+