Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Vinyl sheet over concrete

I'm installing a vinyl sheet over the concrete flooring in my basement. But I'd like an underlayer for moisture control, insulation, and comfort. I don't want to deal with plywood. I've heard there are issues with an underlayer and the adhesive for the vinyl sheet. Is that true? Is there a particular type of underlayer that would be appropriate for concrete and vinyl? Thank you in advance!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-30T19:04:41+0000  by rlokane rlokane

Hey rlokane,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Typically, sheet vinyl acts as its own underlayment, none is required under it. In fact, anything placed under it without gluing it down or not rated for usage can and will cause the floor to fail...not to mention voiding a warranty you'd have on it.

Personally, I wouldn't place it down unless the manufacturer states that you can. 

But in the industry, I've almost always seen vinyl never requires any additional underlayment. If you are really concerned with moisture control, consider using a concrete sealer before installing your new floor.

Just make sure the concrete slab is clean, level, and sealed before installing any new floor on it. Plus, with advances in technology, lots of sheet vinyl now is glue optional.

This saves you time and money, and only double sided vinyl tape is used versus gluing everything down. Check out the glue optional or glue free sheet vinyl options at your local Home Depot the next time you are there!

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-10-31T14:57:55+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+