Sign In to join the community | Help

WOW! Faux Granite Countertops ... Savannah is at it again!

One of my regular customers, Savannah, has her DIY cap on!

Among her home renovation projects she made me stop and exclaim, “WOW! Faux Granite Countertops ... Savannah is at it again!”

Her granite-look faux countertops are an outstanding example of the vision she has for her home under renovation.

How lucky could we be? ... the recipients of her shared DIY skills.

Here are before and after photos of one countertop.

Countertop Before and After.jpg

Describing her process, Savannah said,

"Here is a before and after of one of my counters I have been faux painting to look like granite.

I sanded the old laminate counter with 220-grit paper and applied the Zinsser primer in grey.

Played all day with a sea sponge and this is what I have so far. I, grey, brown, bronze, vintage gold, fawn, and white. It was mostly black, grey, and brown, and then went over the top with a mixture of fawn and vintage gold.

I also sprinkled extra fine light silver glitter at the end.

All that's left to do is seal it with epoxy. Thoughts before I seal?

Yes Savannah, I have thoughts!

I think you're a creative artist with enough confidence to imagine and attempt this great project, and really make it work!

You are what DIY is all about.

And best of all, you've taken time to share your work with The Community.

You're an inspiration!

Thanks, I can't wait to see what you do next!!!

1)      Use 220-grit sandpaper to buff sand the laminate counter top;

2)      Simply break the existing gloss on the surface and stop;

3)      Wipe the sanding dust off with a dry terry towel;

4)      Prime with Zinsser Cover Stain, tinted grey;

5)      Allow primer to dry at least two-hours;

6)      Use a small piece of heavily textured sea sponge (pinch extra valleys into sponge to create more texture);

7)      One color at a time, randomly sponge black, grey, and brown on as your base coat;

8)      Accent the random-color base coat with small dabs of fawn and vintage gold; and

9)      While the final colors are drying, sprinkle very small amounts of extra-fine light silver glitter.

After the entire surface dries about 48-hours, apply a water-based clear coat … like Varathane Semi-Gloss water-based polyurethane.

Because the paints are water-based, they will not properly accept oil-based clear coat. So make certain the “Clean Up” line on your product label says “water.”

Remember that this is a craft project.

Take your time!

Allow each coat to dry before proceeding to next.

Colors blended too rapidly will tend to create muddy blurs.

As you prepare, take time to look carefully at a piece of natural stone … then let nature be your guide.

Show us your best DIY project ... share your "How To" projects and photos with The Community!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-29T18:48:08+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

Hi Savannah...just a quick question. Did you let each color dry before starting the next color?

I love this and have 2 bathroom sinks I would love to update.

Posted 2013-09-02T16:19:16+0000  by Danica77

Hello Danica77!

I hope you don't mind if I help while Savannah is working on another project.

Hopefully, she will join the thread as her time permits.

When fauxing any surface, each individual color is typically allowed to dry before the next color overlaps.

The mixture, four-parts glaze with one-part paint, is what allows the colors to show-thru one another once dry.

Essentially, the glaze makes each color translucent ... and a higher glaze-to-paint ratio will make it even more see-thru.

When you say you have two bathroom sinks, are you referring to the sink or the countertop?

Posted 2013-09-03T14:58:17+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Could you do this on a laminate countertop? 

Posted 2013-09-16T13:43:30+0000  by dganzer1

I just did this in my laundry room, turning ugly laminate into coordinated "granite"...worked like a champ, but isn't super smooth in the finish (despite sanding). Much better anyway!!!

Posted 2013-09-16T14:00:53+0000  by aecjohnson
I also transformed my white laminate countertops into granite-looking countertops using paint. I used a kit that I bought online from Giani Granite. I scrubbed the countertops, taped them off, rolled on the included black primer, sponge painted on the 3 mineral paints included in the kits, which could be sponged on top of one another while wet. Then I rolled on 2 coats of the included protective coat which dried super hard and looks smooth and wet. I love my countertops and finished the project for under $100.
Posted 2013-09-16T14:11:11+0000  by Cocomo

On the same line as this, I have a faux river rock fireplace that a previous owner stained dark grey.  I would like to give it  a more natural appearance and warm up the color. Would the same technique work on cement rock?

Posted 2013-09-16T14:53:43+0000  by appylvr

What kind of paint do you use?  Just any paint or something special for counters?

Posted 2013-09-16T15:09:01+0000  by sfj1947

Please be aware of the MSDS sheets on Zinsser - not safe if you care for your health or environment - Always look at the MSDS especially for anything used inside.  These can stay in the air for years after the smell is gone.  Here is from Zinsser's Emergency Overview ***:  High vapor concentrations can irritate eyes, nose and respiratory passages. Causes nose and throat irritation. Harmful if inhaled. May affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headacheor nausea. Harmful if swallowed. Causes eye irritation. Flammable liquid and vapor.

Effects Of Overexposure
-Eye Contact:   Causes eye irritation.
Effects Of Overexposure
-Skin Contact:   Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause irritation.
Effects Of Overexposure
-Inhalation:   High vapor concentrations are irritating to the eyes, nose, throat and lungs.
May cause headaches and dizziness. Avoid breathing vapors or mists. Harmful if inhaled.
Effects Of Overexposure
-Ingestion:   Aspiration hazard if swallowed; can enter lungs and cause damage.
Harmful if swallowed.
Effects Of Overexposure
-Chronic Hazards:   Contains Titanium Dioxide. Titanium Dioxide is listed as a Group  2B
"Possibly carcinogenic to humans" by IARC. Significant exposure is not anticipated during brush application or
drying. Risk of overexposure depends on duration and level of exposure to dust from repeated sanding of
surfaces or spray mist and the actual concentration of Titanium Dioxide in the formula.
Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain

and nervous system damage

Posted 2013-09-16T16:13:44+0000  by greenbytamara

wonder if this process will work on fake marble tops used in the '70's.  I have sanded before and used poly varnish on it....think I could use this process also.  Would be fon to try it.  thx

Posted 2013-09-16T16:21:20+0000  by steelbed89

I have two counter tops which are both in bathrooms.

I've been reading reviews on these products and the majority of them are very negative. I'm not sure if I'll attempt this project or just wait until I can save up enough money to have them replace.

Posted 2013-09-16T16:57:58+0000  by Danica77
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question