Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

WOW! Faux Granite Countertops ... Savannah is at it again!

One of my regular customers, Savannah, has her DIY cap on!

Among her home renovation projects she made me stop and exclaim, “WOW! Faux Granite Countertops ... Savannah is at it again!”

Her granite-look faux countertops are an outstanding example of the vision she has for her home under renovation.

How lucky could we be? ... the recipients of her shared DIY skills.

Here are before and after photos of one countertop.

Countertop Before and After.jpg

Describing her process, Savannah said,

"Here is a before and after of one of my counters I have been faux painting to look like granite.

I sanded the old laminate counter with 220-grit paper and applied the Zinsser primer in grey.

Played all day with a sea sponge and this is what I have so far. I used...black, grey, brown, bronze, vintage gold, fawn, and white. It was mostly black, grey, and brown, and then went over the top with a mixture of fawn and vintage gold.

I also sprinkled extra fine light silver glitter at the end.

All that's left to do is seal it with epoxy. Thoughts before I seal?

Thanks,
Savannah”

Yes Savannah, I have thoughts!

I think you're a creative artist with enough confidence to imagine and attempt this great project, and really make it work!

You are what DIY is all about.

And best of all, you've taken time to share your work with The Community.

You're an inspiration!

Thanks, I can't wait to see what you do next!!!

HOW TO, STEP-BY-STEP:

1)      Use 220-grit sandpaper to buff sand the laminate counter top;

2)      Simply break the existing gloss on the surface and stop;

3)      Wipe the sanding dust off with a dry terry towel;

4)      Prime with Zinsser Cover Stain, tinted grey;

5)      Allow primer to dry at least two-hours;

6)      Use a small piece of heavily textured sea sponge (pinch extra valleys into sponge to create more texture);

7)      One color at a time, randomly sponge black, grey, and brown on as your base coat;

8)      Accent the random-color base coat with small dabs of fawn and vintage gold; and

9)      While the final colors are drying, sprinkle very small amounts of extra-fine light silver glitter.

After the entire surface dries about 48-hours, apply a water-based clear coat … like Varathane Semi-Gloss water-based polyurethane.

NOTE:

Because the paints are water-based, they will not properly accept oil-based clear coat. So make certain the “Clean Up” line on your product label says “water.”

FINALLY:

Remember that this is a craft project.

Take your time!

Allow each coat to dry before proceeding to next.

Colors blended too rapidly will tend to create muddy blurs.

As you prepare, take time to look carefully at a piece of natural stone … then let nature be your guide.

NOW IT IS YOUR TURN!

Show us your best DIY project ... share your "How To" projects and photos with The Community!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-29T18:48:08+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

Definite need to know what type of paint was used for the multiple colors.  Acrylic craft paint?  wall paint?

Also, please address painting sinks and fiberglass shower stalls.

Posted 2013-09-16T17:30:22+0000  by Paradise

I really like the Granite look.  I am remodeling an old church and the previous owner poured the kitchen countertops with cement about two inches thick.   Will this technique work on cement?   Any special preparation required?

Posted 2013-09-16T18:51:30+0000  by Churchmouse

should the paints be semi gloss, satin or flat?

Posted 2013-09-16T19:36:31+0000  by Bigg

U ised the same semi-gloss that I used on the walls (again, laundry room). Did about 7 layers...should have started with the same dark grey as the bottom cabinets, and then layered the dark blue from the ceiling, light blue from walls, some black, and finally Swiss coffee (white), all with a sea sponge. Have confidence and go for it!

Posted 2013-09-16T21:20:57+0000  by aecjohnson

thanks, going to start the project this week

Posted 2013-09-16T23:57:09+0000  by Bigg

Hello appylvr!

Faux is a craft that can be done on most any surface ... particularly porous surfaces like faux river rock.

They key is applying a tinted bonding primer that creates secure bed for the remainder of your paints.

In Savannah's case, I made her a dark grey oil-based quart of Zinsser Cover Stain ... a very durable primer that will cling to almost any surface.

Allow the primer to dry for about 2-hours and while it dries, you can mix faux glaze with your colors.

Commonly, your mixture will be one-part paint and four-parts faux glaze.

Savannah used small pieces of sea sponge, selectively torn off of the larger sponge.

Her goal was to select the most textured part of the sponge or even pinch off pieces to create a more textured applicator.

If you look back and read her description, she worked through her colors slowly.

Each dab with her sponge would have covered less than two-inches of surface ... most likely even less!

In this thread, you may read where another Community Member blended colors while wet.

Personally, I do not recommend this technique. Often when you blend wet colors they become "muddy."

However, as I have often said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You should simply test your technique before beginning the full project.

Once her pattern was complete, Savannah added a hint of very fine silver glitter ... only a hint!

The faux finished surface will have a dull, matte appearance.

Finally, when you are satisfied with the color and pattern, you may choose to clear coat the surface and protect your handiwork.

Or, you might simply choose to leave it "natural" ... without a clear coat.

NOTE:

Since you'll likely faux with water-based products, be certain to choose a water-based clear coat as well.

Most oil-based clear coats are not designed to cover water-based products.

Posted 2013-09-17T14:25:59+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hello sfj1947!

Thanks for the great question!

In Savannah's case, she used the half-pint samples of Behr Ultra sold at The Paint Pit (desk).

We worked through a series of water-based colors to create visual contrast, but started the entire project with a base of grey oil-based primer.

And, yes the countertops she finished are laminate ... lightly sanded to promote adhesion.

Mix one-part paint and four-parts faux glaze.

Then apply one color at a time and allow each to dry.

A water-based clear coat can be used to protect your handiwork.

NOTE:

While there are specialty paints designed for laminate counter tops, none of these were used in Savannah's project.

Posted 2013-09-17T14:50:55+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks greenbytamara!

You are absolutely correct!

Health precautions should always be taken when executing any project.

Protective gloves, eye protection, and proper ventilation are just a few of the recommendations customers receive.

Paint has always been one of those products that have warnings.

Even the "No VOC" paints have skin and eye irritation warnings on the label.

When Community Members want to investigate the products recommended on this forum, all they need do is click the product link and scroll down the product page to the MSDS link (Material Safety Data Sheet).

The MSDS lists the hazards as well as the level of hazard for every product we sell.

If you cannot locate the MSDS or don't have access to the internet, simply ask your Paint Associate to print out a copy of the MSDS for the products you are considering.

Preparation for every project should always include safety measures!

Posted 2013-09-17T15:06:23+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hi steelbed89!

Absolutely!

Use this process on almost any surface ... particularly porous surfaces like faux marble.

Simply prep by sanding to eliminate the shine on the surface and then follow Savannah's recommendations.

When you complete your project, please come back and share photos!

Posted 2013-09-17T15:09:32+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks Danica77!

DIYers make these exact choices frequently.

Do I DIY or do I pay for renovation?

In many cases, DIYers save enough by doing the work themselves that they are able to complete other projects on their list.

I worked to help Savannah with this project, but this was just one of many projects on her whole-house renovation.

Her results were outstanding ... primarily because she took time to research the process and didn't rush through the execution.

I love DIY!

It's the core of what The Home Depot offers home owners ... "You Can Do It. We Can Help."

But, not every DIYer has the skill or confidence to complete every project.

Be selective!

Choose projects that match your skills.

And, consider contractors for those that are beyond your ability.

Posted 2013-09-17T15:19:24+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+