Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Wait between deck coats or risk rain?

Weather forecast changed . I did one coat of Behring premium solid deck stain yesterday but forecast is now 50 percent rain with in 12 hours. Better to wait 3 days or re-coat now and risk it getting rained on?

Also are 3 coats better protection than two?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-16T12:38:16+0000  by Cashcrop Cashcrop

Cashcrop,

When i somes to stain, the phrase "less is more" is appropriate. Behr wants you to give two ight coats and no more.

Thinner, more breatheable is advantageous when dealing with deck stains. Enough surface protection to retard entrance of moisture into the wood, yet light enough to let moisture  respire out without causing it to peel.

Best Answer

Posted 2013-06-16T14:15:37+0000  by ordjen

I would wait it out:smileysad:

The top coat needs to adhere to the base coat. Therefore - drying on the surface rather than completely soaking into the wood will take a little longer than the first coat.  rain.jpg

Posted 2013-06-16T13:50:36+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
Thanks. I really appreciate your answer. I'd hate to spend more time and make the end result worse!
Posted 2013-06-16T15:40:42+0000  by Cashcrop
Terrific, thanks for the info. I have been very pleased with the solid color stain. Since we've opted to wait no doubt. The afternoon will be the 50 percent sunny
Posted 2013-06-16T15:44:36+0000  by Cashcrop
Hi Cashcrop,

I concur with both Kevin and Ordjen.

Behr discourages more than two coats because the surface is sealed with two coats and any stain applied after that will not absorb ... so it will easily chip or flake off the surface.

Their application instructions say, "Two coats are recommended."

As for the pending rain, their instructions say, "Do not apply if rain in expected within six-hours."

From personal experience, I can tell you that rain will create leopard spots on you uncured stain ... which requires removal and reapplication.

Not a project you want to undertake ... simply wait on the rain to pass.
Posted 2016-03-10T23:45:27+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+