Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Wall Framing

I own a typical Philadelphia rowhome. 

My exterior walls are parallel to the ceiling/floor joists. 

I need to frame and insulate my exterior walls, especially the front of the home.

I am thinking that I’d need to frame the basement walls for support, then the first/second  floors.

Suggestions???

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-18T18:10:40+0000  by REW REW

Howdy Rew,

There are a few things to take into consideration when asking for advice on the internet. First, you are getting opinions and without photos and firsthand knowledge of the project, it is nearly impossible to come to an educated answer.

The other concern would be the need for a permit to do this project. Every city/county/state has their own set of rules and regulations of what they require. They may not even require a permit however, one has to think; “do I have the money and time to do it twice in case it does not meet the local government code?”

These building codes are for safety sake and to make sure the project is done right. My advice would be to contact a licensed contractor for a quote. You can also contact your local building department to find out code requirements.

Happy insulating,

Coach Dave

Posted 2017-09-19T02:18:07+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Hello REW and welcome to the Community.

Installing insulation is in many cases is a DIY type job.  

If you are planning to insulate your basement, then yes you could start their but it is not necessary for support.  Your foundation and the walls above it support your wall.  The additional studs for insulation will not cause any extra stress.

Here is a link to the Owens Corning web site.  There you will find a great deal of information about how to properly insulate all the areas of your home. I would like to direct you to a link for videos about insulating your home. 

Here is a link to How to Frame a New Wall.

When planning a non-bearing stud wall, even a minor internal alteration may need planning permission. When planning a stud wall, check the regulations governing lighting, ventilation, and electrical circuits, and get any necessary permits before starting work.

Securing it to masonry should be possible at any point, but secure it to another wood wall at studs. When securing the frame to the floor and ceiling, ideally, plates should cross joists. If they run in the same direction, build the wall on a floor joist. There may not be a ceiling joist aligned with this, but the ceiling plate must be attached to a solid fixture, if you can't secure it directly to a joist, add blocking every 2 feet between two joists. Secure the ceiling plate to these. This method can also be used on the floor, for instance, if you cannot access ceiling joists from above.

If you have electrical outlets or fixtures on these exterior walls, you will have to make accommodations for these as well.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2017-09-19T14:52:58+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+