Sign In to join the community | Help

Wall sconces that fit rectangular box?

I want to replace the wall sconces in my living room, so I bought some but when I got home and tried to install them, they didn't fit the outlet box. It seems that most wall sconces are made to fit in round/octagonal boxes, but I have standard rectangular boxes. Switching the box isn't really an option right now, so I'm looking for ones that will fit in the rectangular box. Does Home Depot sell ones like that? 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-10T17:01:07+0000  by Rd818 Rd818

Hi Rd818,

Thanks for joining us here on the community.

It is correct, almost all wall sconces are made to go over rounded/octagonal boxes. It sounds like there was or it was meant to have a device (switch or outlet) in it, hence the rectangular cover. 

In reality, having that round/octagonal box is actual standard in your situation. That means that you really would be very hard pressed to find a sconce that would fit in just a rectangular box. 

 However the good news is that you should be able to pick up at item at your local Home Depot that will assist you in getting the fixture (or any wall mounted one for that matter) on a rectangular box without resorting to change it.

The item is a crossbar that can be extended to 5 inches, which will cover the screw holes of the junction box. Shown below and linked here, use this instead of the crossbar you have now to hold it securely onto the wall as well as the junction box.

Westinghouse All-Purpose Crossbar

What makes this crossbar different than yours is the fact that it goes wider than the standard 4 inch size made for round/rectangular junction boxes.

This is the ONLY option  you'll have to use any sconce on an existing rectangular box, other than taking it out of the wall and replacing it with a round/octagonal box (which actually isn't that much work to do). 

Let us know if you have any further questions,


Posted 2016-01-11T15:27:46+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question