Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Wallboard preparation for painting

I have had some wood paneling removed from my walls. The adhesive used to secure it is black & presents an uneven surface. "What is a more cost effective route to take? Replace the paneling with new (& paint it as before) or prepare the wall for painting? What method of preparation for paint: skim coat of plaster (or something like it) or thin sheets of wallboard hung over the existing wallboard?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-08-13T18:40:49+0000  by engineersdaught engineersdaught

Hello again,


If you were to DIY the most cost effective approach would be to prep the wall for painting. It would involve removing the old adhesive, skim coat and patch the damaged sections, priming the surface and painting. Only products you would need would be drywall compound, sand paper, primer and paint.


If you're having somebody else install it than paneling would be the least labor intensive which would translate in to overall savings , assuming it would need no surface preparation.


Hope this helps.





Posted 2012-08-13T20:22:13+0000  by George_HD_CHI




This is the perfect DYI project. It does not take a lot of skill nor equipment. Your main contibution is labor, the most costly element in hiring a project out.


I have done such repairs often, after having removed paneling or mirrors. The easiest way to get rid of the mastic is to cut through th thin outer layer of white drywall paper around the area with ahsesive. You then peel back the paper , leaving the underlying brown pulpy paper. Quickly sand this paper to remove excessive loose fibers. This brown paper must then be sealed with a non-water soluble primer such as KILZ or BIN. This is important because otherwise the water in the drywall compound can cause the paper  to wrinkle up. After the primer has dried, proceed with a couple coats of drywall topping compound. When dry, sand with a sanding block with 120 grit sandpaper.


At this point,  first spot prime the patches, then follow with a full prime coat over all the walls. I prefer a full bodied acrylic primer, such as Behr's No.75 or Glidden's Gripper. PVA drywall primer, though inexpensive, does not seal as well as an acrylic primer. A full bodied acrylic primer will maintain a higher sheen of the paint going over it because it is a better sealer. It will also allow for tinting of the primer close to the finish paint color. This will very possibly save you from having to do two finish coats, especially if you are using a lower sheen paint.


The other possible adjustment to do is with the woodwork. Depending on how the paneling was hung, the door and window casings may have to have a filler strip put behind them to account for the paneling that may have been under it. This is still farless work and expense than putting up new paneling.


Hope this has helped.

Posted 2012-08-14T04:41:44+0000  by ordjen
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question